PDA

View Full Version : Post apoc story about astronauts

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

ccutler69
August 14th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I can't remember the title, hopefully someone here can jog my memory.

The story: Earth perishes in nuclear war and only astronauts survive. After the astronauts land they realize Earth is barren, all plant and animal life has been destroyed. This makes them lose the will to live. It ends with one of the astronauts trying to get to the ocean to "seed" life again with his dead body.

Any help is appreciated, thank you:)

marshal atkins
August 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I can't remember the title but I think it was a short story or novella in a sci fi magazine like Analog.

I remember the story and I think the end of the world was caused by the astronauts rocket setting fire to the air and destroying everything organic.

When he landed his dog was with him and grew hungry enough to stalk the astronauht. He did make it to the ocean to add his germs and organic matter to the water to reseed the planet.

That is all I can remember of the story.

ccutler69
August 15th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Yeah your summary sounds more accurate. It has been awhile since I read it, but now forgetting the title is killing me.

marshal atkins
August 17th, 2011, 10:11 AM
OK, A half hour of searching lead me to this short story.

"Adam and no Eve" by Alfred Bester, 1941

Here is a link to a review of the story and what anthology it can be found in.

http://variety-sf.blogspot.com/2007/11/alfred-bester-adam-and-no-eve-earth-can.html

ccutler69
August 17th, 2011, 12:12 PM
That is the story marshall. Thank you for your help, you must have better googling skills than me because I searched and searched, but couldn't find it.

I love that ending, something about it gives me the chills.

ccutler69
August 17th, 2011, 12:22 PM
If anyone is interested you can find this story and other classic SF short stories in this anthology http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345277473/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=. It looks out of print, but used copies are available.