PDA

View Full Version : The horror of when a story goes off track.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Holbrook
August 17th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Has it happened to you?

What I mean is have you had a story that begins well, you are hitting the keys with a mad frenzy knocking out the pages. Then you stop and re read it. And to your horror it sounds like a badly written bodice ripper, all heaving bosoms and thick headed heros!

It has happened to me today. The first four pages or 1500 words were spot on... then it happened *sigh* The following thousand words made my stomach churn with the cheesyness of it.

Is there some strange switch in your brain that takes you off course or is it trying to write too much in one sitting and the idea fades into an "Eastender" script....

It makes me ponder on how much we should "go with the flow" rather than outline a story.

I have had success with both methods but a lot of dross with the "flow" one.

This has got me to thinking about swapping half written horror stories (horror as in "bad") We tend to put up or share our best efforts.

Who is up for sharing their worse?

milamber_reborn
August 18th, 2002, 12:48 AM
I haven't had that problem yet, but I did have a character hijack the limelight in my novel.

Holbrook
August 18th, 2002, 05:45 AM
So no one but me has written stuff that sucks big time:D

Or are you all cowards;) :p

Erebus
August 18th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Quite the contrary, actually, HB! But I've only just had time to contribute. (Damn real jobs getting in the way of internet life! :D )

I have often spent hours writing at a frenetic pace into the wee hours, and then come the next day, when I read it back, I start looking for the intruder who has broken into my home and written all this rubbish. Mostly, it was back in the days when I was more prolific with poetry. Conversely though, I have had the opposite happen as well and written some astounding words that I had to look twice at, asking myself, "did I write that?".

As far as novels or stories go, I have to say that so far I've never scrapped one, but I have certainly had to edit a lot. My biggest problem is that I tend to do too much info dump too soon, and I have to pace myself. But you know how it is, when the words flow you just have to go with them. Sometimes it will end up dross, but other times you might just create something others will enjoy reading! Thankfully, I have never consciously (or subconsciously) written anything akin to a a bodice ripper though. Perhaps I should try...:D

Holbrook
August 18th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Erebus, I unfortunately find the"bodice ripper" creeping into a lot of my work...... Or they get so silly that they are not funny, though I would wish them to be.... Or so dark and gloomy that it would take a thousand 100watt light bulbs to cast even a glimmer of light on them...

I have more failures that sucesses.

I am in the process of finding a horrible example and will post a link to it later as soon as I can up load it onto my site. (which is not really a site just a storage area for pictures and documents for linking) :D

A penny sweet will be awarded to the person that manages to read the whole piece.....;)

As to the pieces I am most proud of, that has given me an idea for another thread ;)

milamber_reborn
August 19th, 2002, 01:14 AM
I'm actually going to overhaul two chapters of my novel to make a setting more grand (hard to explain). How I wrote it wasn't crap, but I need to make it more realistic etc.

Hobbit
August 19th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Interesting thread, Holbrook. I'm not normally a writer (there are only 24 hours in a day after all!), but the old Heinlein adage about 'it doesn't matter what you write, as long as you write' may apply here. For all the dross, there may be something in there that just JUST might be useful one day....it may be a place, a name, an idea, a sentence or it may even be to show you what NOT to do.

As there's sweets involved, I might just take up your challenge of reading your 'worst' - I have read some awful stuff in my time.... (looks at the latest David Eddings that's just arrived in the post)

Actually the idea of a bodice ripper, mehearties, has some appeal..perhaps we could all join in! ( :D )

erm..hmm...

*throws down metaphorical gauntlet*

OK, Holbrook.....bring it on! :D

Holbrook
August 19th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Very well Hobbit, I will try and get something sorted out to night.... something that will set your teeth on edge.

I need to dust off the floppy discs as this monster is no longer on my hard drive *g*

:D :D

Holbrook
August 19th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Ok Hobbit, ye of the strong stomach...

These were written a long long time ago on my old amstrad machine in windows 3.11 so I hope they will load ok....

The grammar and spelling suck, the whole POV is screwed and I can't tell my past tense from my future.......

A whole book or rather an attempt at one
Bad...... (http://home.arachsys.com/~chris/sue/SALWIZ3.DOC)

And it is a bodice ripper..... lol You don't mind do you, I mean it has a nakiddddd man in..... :eek:

A beginning of a story.....even Badder (http://home.arachsys.com/~chris/sue/CASTLE.DOC)

Hobbit
August 19th, 2002, 04:41 PM
:D :D :D

Livestock......prostitution......stallions.....pan tomime! :D

It's still much better than I could manage, Holbrook!

I'm sure things are not as bad as you make them sound.....

*sneaks away to read text*