PDA

View Full Version : Flashy cover, vague memories...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pennarin
August 21st, 2011, 01:42 PM
Hello all, first post ;)

I read a short story collection, possibly this one (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?31432). I'm looking for people who can put a name on the collection I'm about to describe, which also had a garrish dustjacket and was in hardcover format. It was read 17 years ago in my high school library, when I was 15 years old (the library got rid of it long ago and did not keep a record of the book).

In it:

1. A spacesuited Native American is tracking people on the Moon or Mars.

2. Craters on Mars or the Moon, when analysed by the characters, reveal themselves to be the results of nuclear weapon blasts in a long-ago war. The asteroid belt is the remnant of an enemy planet destroyed by the Martians, now also dead. A soon-to-die character on Mars (or the Moon?) is saved from asphyxiation by finding an alien artifact of theirs that ends up floating above his head to produce a bell-shaped forcefield that reaches to the ground and recycles air.

3. Astronauts find a cracked dome on a now-dead planet, inside which comes radio signals, which end up being from alien robots. The robots communicate by radio integrated into their bodies, bodies with which they can scurry on walls and ceilings. Their masters left them the planet when they departed this universe/reality.

Pennarin
September 1st, 2011, 09:51 PM
OMG, I found this one description of Space Pioneers on the web and it mentions an Indian guide on another planet! This is the one! 17 years I've been looking for it... /sigh

mylinar
September 2nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
OMG, I found this one description of Space Pioneers on the web and it mentions an Indian guide on another planet! This is the one! 17 years I've been looking for it... /sigh

That's great. I hope you are not dissapointed after such a long search.

Pennarin
September 2nd, 2011, 07:53 PM
114$ for a Good to Very Good, not ex-lib copy...I do hope it's good ;)
Some memories are just worth buying back.