PDA

View Full Version : Terry Goodkind: Where to start???

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

someguy
August 20th, 2002, 05:42 PM
(If this has been done already, I ask forgiveness. I looked quickly, but I cant and will not go through this entire site looking for one thing.)

OK, I love LOTR and WOT. I DO NOT WANT A DEBATE ON THIS!!!

Now, for those Goodkind fans out there (non-fans ignore this), which book should I start with? And are they trilogies and series. I would rather start at the beginning, even if the first book is not the best one.

I honestly dont know anything about him or his work, and am curious because all of the shouting and fire-breathing on this forum.

ps Best response gets a donut!

Zaknafein
August 20th, 2002, 05:54 PM
The first Book in his series "Sword of Truth" is "Wizard's First Rule", so you should start with this one if you are really sure you want to do this - because being a fan of WOT, you will feel VERY familiar, maybe a little TOO familiar, in Goodkind's universe. ;-)

Elan Morin Tedronai
August 20th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Well, the first book is one of the best, really! My salutations go for the third and second - "the Blood of the Fold" and "Stone of Tears" - they are really good. As for next four books - 4 & 5 suck, 6 almost, 7 really sux!

kegasaurus
August 20th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Read the first two books and end it there. The rest of the series just made me sad for ever learning to read.

Miriamele
August 20th, 2002, 08:55 PM
This seems to be the general consensus with Goodkind. I haven't read them myself, but my husband did, and he said the first 3 books were very good, but after that it was like come one, leave these people alone already...how many bad things can happen to one couple?

someguy
August 20th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Sorry, which series is that exactly?

"Sword of Truth"?

Alle
August 20th, 2002, 11:47 PM
The series is called Sword of Truth, and the books in the series are:

Wizard's First Rule
Stone of Tears
Blood of the Fold
Temple of the Winds
Soul of the Fire
Faith of the Fallen
Pillars of Creation

and I think that's it so far...I listed them in order, so start at the top, if start you must. :-) I know you said only fans should reply, and I am not a fan at all, but was bored, so here you are. :-)

someguy
August 21st, 2002, 02:01 AM
Thanks alle,

my point about fans only was not to keep away non-fans really, just to discourage folks from telling me not to read them and starting a flame war. Thanks for the chronology!

allanon
August 21st, 2002, 02:28 AM
The series are nice. The first 3 books are very good, the 4th and 5th pretty sucks, but with the last two Terry is back in his good form.
But BE CAREFUL! There is much more violence in his books than in WOT ot LOTR.

Sammie
August 21st, 2002, 02:22 PM
I really enjoyed the first four, so i seem to have got further than any of the rest of you :) - but i agree, after that they get a little dire.