SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

someguy
August 20th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Howdy!

Was thinking about it and I dont know of any books that combine magic and technology very well. I mean, if Dwarves an Elves and Humans have steel, and windmills, and steam, why dont they invent all the stuff we have? And how would magic interact with that?

Any books that do this well??

Someguy
Lord of the Donut

Shef
August 20th, 2002, 06:09 PM
There is a Guns in Fantasy thread that you might like to read. It offers some interesting views on magic and technology mixing. I myself will once again point to Mr. Stackpole's work. He has elves and magickers AND guns and Mechaansii. That isn't the right spelling but they are basiclly injured warriors who had metal parts grafted on to replace there wounds.

Mithfânion
August 20th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Book of New Sun by Wolfe , Game of Universe by Nylund. To name but two. There must be more.

Elan Morin Tedronai
August 20th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Well, if you wanna read (pretending to be :rolleyes: ) fantasy with guns and trains grab the Ile-Rien by Martha Wells. For me this book really sux. I read only the last one - "the Death of the Necromancer" because our good publisher. But I do not regret about it: I don't find something special in that book.

One not so bad series, which includes guns is First Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. Quite good series. But do not read Second Chronicles, they even more suck than Martha Wells...:rolleyes:

Eventine
August 20th, 2002, 08:55 PM
While I wouldn't give them 10 out of 10 (or 7 out of 10 for that matter) Terry Brooks' Voyage of the Jerle Shannara books have some technology in them.

Dakel
August 20th, 2002, 09:15 PM
You may also want to consider the Tyrants and Kings trilogy by John Marco...

cgw
August 20th, 2002, 10:05 PM
Changeling by Zelazny has both but it is magic vs. technology.

chocky
August 20th, 2002, 10:44 PM
Piers Anthony's Blue Adept series. I don't think Tech. & magic intermingle, but it has been a long time since I read them.

someguy
August 20th, 2002, 11:12 PM
Sheesh! I had no idea there was so much, though I shouldnt be suprised. This alone is enough reading to keep me going for some time.

milamber_reborn
August 21st, 2002, 12:18 AM
Arcanum, if someone's written the book of the game.