PDA

View Full Version : Alphas, on Sci-Fi

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

PeterWilliam
September 26th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Was working on some homework for class (cryptography) and had Sci-Fi (er, SyFy - that's so stupid) on in the background and caught two or three episodes of a program called Alphas. It's excellent, for a program on Sci-Fi (I just won't do the new appellation). Anyone else seen this?

kater
September 27th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I've seen the first 7 episodes and it drifts between enjoyable and dull, quite predictable but has been upped for a second season so perhaps it picks up at the end of this first season.

PeterWilliam
September 27th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I've seen the first 7 episodes and it drifts between enjoyable and dull, quite predictable but has been upped for a second season so perhaps it picks up at the end of this first season.

I watched the season finale last night. It ups the ante a bit, but certainly plays straight to your average sff fan's level of intuition (i.e. very high). Most of the twists one can spot a mile off. However, I will say that the final two scenes were mildly surprising, but setting up the show rather well for season 2.

Rob B
September 27th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I'll admit to not even giving it a shot. When the show seems to be about superheroes (or mutants or whatever) and it isn't acknowledged as such, I don't have high hopes. Also, the majority of TV shows/movies that are about superheros and aren't based on an existing property/character and are original creations tend to not be all that great.

Eventine
September 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I saw an article talking about why this show fulfilled a promise that Heroes didn't fill and have been thinking of trying to get my hands on it since.
As someone who thought season one of Heroes was great (let's not talk past that), would this be something I might like? The praise here isn't exactly glowing...

PeterWilliam
September 27th, 2011, 07:28 PM
It's definitely ground most famously broken by Marvel's X-Men. I remember enjoying the first season of Heroes, and kept watching although it began wandering incoherently soon after. I have a better feeling about this one, as the story seems to be framed, for lack of a better term, whereas Heroes seemed to follow several POVs that extremely coincidentally kept connecting. Where Heroes developed an ad hoc feel, Alphas has a solid framework built around it.

In order to avoid spoilers, I would describe it as the X-Men, as a government agency, with a mysterious back story dating to the end of WWII, like Captain America. Make no mistake, these would qualify as 'mutants.' There is, however, an unseen cabal that is pulling strings and moving behind the scenes to secure a hidden agenda - something similar to the X-Files, before it began its downward spiral (that is, if you liked that show - I did prior to the final few seasons).

Eventine
September 27th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Your X-Files reference helped :) Sign me up - I'll let you know what I think.

ShandaLear
September 28th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I've enjoyed the first season, but the final few episodes really sealed the deal for me. Syfy promised it would go places watchers would both enjoy and not expect, and delivered (for me, anyway).

Looking forward to next season!