PDA

View Full Version : Multiple plotlines in books

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Maceol
August 22nd, 2002, 05:05 PM
I was wondering if anyone besides me is a fan of books with multiple interweaving plots, like The Silmarillion. I find that several storylines that occasionally meet create a much more epic and interesting book. They also give authors another option besides giving one character a breathtakingly large number of abilities (i.e. the swashbuckling invisible fast-travelling dragon-taming lie-detecting woodsman uber-wizard who talks to the dead in The Sword of Truth). However, I've been told that some people find that multiple storylines can make the novel difficult to follow, which in turn makes the book less enjoyable. A good example of a multiple plot book is the first three chapters of my book, The Heart of Dishonor, which is under my name Lee Chamney in the fantasy short story section of this fine website.

kegasaurus
August 22nd, 2002, 08:20 PM
I enjoy multiple plots, as it forces me to think about things and if well written, I find I read the book a hell of a lot quicker.

Be wary though, I've read a book or two where a plot had been used, but never fully resolved because the author has flown headlong into something they have found more interesting and completely lost site of a smaller plot they created, WWEing the entire work.

Katherine Kerr is good at weaving multiple threads to create a rich tapestry and to this day her books have remained highly valued in my collection.

milamber_reborn
August 23rd, 2002, 01:28 AM
Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time has to be mentioned. He's the father of multiple plots. It irks most people in the forums, but not me.