PDA

View Full Version : SF novel: beings inside planet orbiting neutron star?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

stuartworley
October 5th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Looking for the book title of a SF novel I read within the last two years concerning a race of beings living inside a planet/asteroid orbiting a neutron(?) star. They had a primitive culture that did not know the outside universe existed.

The protagonist and a "scientist" extrapolate the existence of the surrounding universe by examining the effects of micr-gravity at the center of the asteroid.

The author is a physicist and had an interesting website detailing the physics and math behind the fiction.

Thanks

Spacejock
October 5th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Dragon's Egg by Robert L Forward? (Assuming the critters were tiny and very short-lived?)

Shonsu
October 6th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Dragon's Egg by Robert L Forward? (Assuming the critters were tiny and very short-lived?)

This sounds right...

Did they have a scene where the little guys discovered the humans when they were scanning the star? I think the scanning thingie sent them into convulsions or something. And They were very short lived by our standards but lived much quicker (like a day for them was a minute for us).

marshal atkins
October 6th, 2011, 07:10 AM
In Dragons Egg the natives were living on the surface of the neutron star itself.

stuartworley
October 6th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Nope, that's not it. Although it looks like one that I need to read.

In the novel I'm looking for the beings are living inside a rock/planet/asteroid orbiting some neutron star or something very energetic.

Other details that I remember: the beings use the background microwaves for vision. Also, through the examination of how stones float and move in the center of the rock they deduce the presence of another rock that is a danger to them.

suciul
October 6th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Looking for the book title of a SF novel I read within the last two years concerning a race of beings living inside a planet/asteroid orbiting a neutron(?) star. They had a primitive culture that did not know the outside universe existed.

The protagonist and a "scientist" extrapolate the existence of the surrounding universe by examining the effects of micr-gravity at the center of the asteroid.

The author is a physicist and had an interesting website detailing the physics and math behind the fiction.

Thanks

Incandescence by Greg Egan maybe?

stuartworley
October 6th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Icandescense! Yes, that's it.

Thanks very much!!!

suciul
October 6th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Icandescense! Yes, that's it.

Thanks very much!!!

you're welcome!

great book btw