PDA

View Full Version : Another half remembered book.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Wyldcat
October 9th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I know this is a long shot, but here goes. I'm trying to remember the name of a book, I believe that it was one of a series. The book was in paperback sometime in the late '80's-early '90's for sure (probably earlier).

The gist of the story that I remember was that for some reason (can't remember quite why), humans were living in groups and forced to live much as their ancestors did. One of the protagonists in the story came from a colony that was American Colonial in design. If I remember correctly, a computer of some sort was responsible for running the show, so to speak, and that the hero had to travel across space to hunt down the keys to bringing down either the computer or whoever controlled it. I could be wrong about the computer. I seem to recall something about rings as well, but it's been a while.

I know this is pretty slim, and the odds are long, but if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate hearing them.

Oh by the way, I seem to recall the author's last name was somewhere in the middle of the alphabet.

marshal atkins
October 10th, 2011, 01:17 PM
The series is the "Rings of the Master Series" by Jack Chalker.

4 books.

Lords of the Middle Dark
http://www.amazon.com/Lords-Middle-Dark-Rings-Master/dp/0345325605/ref=pd_sim_b3

Pirates of the Tunder
Warriors of the Storm
Mask of the Martyrs.

I think its a good read. My teenager has read it a few times too.

Wyldcat
October 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM
That's the series. Thank you very much. Hopefully I can return the favor someday.