PDA

View Full Version : Very old ironic SF tale. Maye 1950's

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Dixie Dick
October 30th, 2011, 04:18 PM
The plot is as follows. The entire world has been enveloped with advertising. Everywhere one goes, billboards, loud speakers, video, etc. The advertisers are continually trying to outdo each other.
During this period scientists have noted that the stars seem to moving out of their normal positions. It keeps drawing more and more attention and becomes the talk of the world.
Now is seems that a billionaire capitalist has contracted to have hundreds of sattelites with mirrors attached and they are positioned to deflect the light from selected stars and slowly reposition their images so that on the billionaire's birthday they will be in position to spell his name,, S M Y T H E across the skies.
Everyone awaits the moment and at midnight across the sky the stars spell out the name S M I T H.
With the dirth of today's advertising I find this really amusing.

Seli
November 21st, 2011, 07:28 AM
This seems to be a short story by Fredric Brown: "Pi in the Sky".

But in that case the stars move into an advertisement for soap (still spelling the name wrong).

Dixie Dick
November 21st, 2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks so much, That's the one. I kept thing it was "Father Brown, not Federic Brown but this is the one I have been looking for all these years. I really appreciate your info.

Regards,

Dixie Dick

Seli
November 22nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
Glad I could help.

I've only ever read one Brown compilation, and that in translation, but the stories I've read seem impressed in my mind.