View Full Version : Star Wars: The Old Republic, MMO discussion

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Jon Sprunk
November 23rd, 2011, 08:30 AM
Well, I've finally been invited into the beta of the new Star Wars MMO this weekend. Against my better judgement, I'm going to give it a try (and hopefully get my wife hooked too). It's either this, or go back to WoW (for the 4th time), and I just can't take that again.

Erfael
November 23rd, 2011, 09:00 AM
There is another alternative. You don't have to go back to WoW or anything else. Quit MMOs altogether. I did it two years ago and it's been great. The time it freed up has been wonderful. They're all just treadmills anyway. If they still had old-style open-world RPGs that didn't spoon-feed everyone the same quests and storyline, I'd be for them. But the new model is sorely disappointing to me. They feel more like amusement parks than immersive worlds...and I never go to amusement parks.

Jon Sprunk
November 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Actually, I miss the mmo experience. My wife and I have met some great people online over the last 6-7 years and we want to play something new with them. My angst is more about games not meeting our expectations. SWTOR looks like it will be awesome, but I've been fooled before. *shakes fist at D&D Online, LOTRO, Aion, and Warhammer Online*

Loerwyn
November 23rd, 2011, 09:56 AM
Well, I've finally been invited into the beta of the new Star Wars MMO this weekend.
Not to take away from your enjoyment, Jon, but it seems like everyone and their dog got in. I did, for example, but I've changed my mind.

See... I kind of want to play TOR, but also not. Erfy is right about how much time quitting freed up for me, but it's also a case of with MMOs I tend to wake up, log on, log off at night, sleep and repeat. I can't - and won't - let myself get back into that cycle again, plus I tend to find most MMOs boring very quickly. There's also the fact that they cut same-sex romance arcs as a launch feature, instead moving them to post-release (but not opposite-sex ones), and I'll be waiting until they're in before I consider buying it.

I'm, personally, waiting for The Secret World. :D

Jon Sprunk
November 23rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
I hope they include same-sex romances. I mean, it's 2011.

Loerwyn
November 23rd, 2011, 04:09 PM
I hope they include same-sex romances. I mean, it's 2011.
It'll be 2012 at least by the time they're implemented.

It'd be great to have, but in a way I'm not actually sure I'm going to bother. It might be a case of too-little-too-late, but I'm not sure I particularly want to support it. LucasArts (and the Lucas estate in general) have been very obtuse when it comes to same-sex relationships in the Star Wars universe (I believe you can count the canonically gay characters from any medium on one hand), and the fact it's been "cut for post-release" in order to improve the release features is annoying - why couldn't they cut opposite-sex too? I'm not suggesting it's done to slight people, but there's many, many, many instances of content being cut, the publisher/developer announcing it'll appear and then it doesn't.

I'm not going to be holding my breath, and after I saw this (http://www.formspring.me/RagnarTornquist/q/1479123189) from one of the writers of The Secret World (he also wrote The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, two of my favourite games), I think I'll go with the game that is more open from the start.

Plus it's Lovecraft-inspired and part of it takes place in New England.

saintjon
November 28th, 2011, 06:34 PM
One of my friends is all obsessed with it already, he's been in the beta testing twice and he says it's all things wonderful, it doesn't look that appealing to me though. The best thing I ever did was quit playing Final Fantasy 11 (thank you MGS port for Gamecube!) I watched a preview vid focused on combat, it was from some big raid where they were fighting a giant mech thingy and it looked boring. It looked -DAMN- boring. "Oh hey I'm support check out all my support casting even though this is supposed to be Star Wars centric and casters should be about 1 in ten billion.." Pfffffff. I don't think I'll be playing. It looks better than the average MMO but I have a strong suspicion it'll be more of the same. I know the game has to be compelling and all but to me that would mean that when a half dozen Sith attack any giant robot or really anything at all for that matter it's dead pretty fast. Whatever, I won't be playing it, I don't have the time and I"m not paying a monthly fee for any goddamn thing this is 2011 for god's sake find a better business model. I'm out!

Edit: PS I totally support Loerwyn's assertions that there should be gay content for sci-fi fans not just of Star Wars, but for all sci-fi. Are we really going to worry if religious kooks and social conservatives are bothered by what goes on in Star Wars now? I thought that's who the Emperor was supposed to represent (or one facet of him anyways).

PeterWilliam
November 28th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Are we really going to worry if religious kooks and social conservatives are bothered by what goes on in Star Wars now? I thought that's who the Emperor was supposed to represent (or one facet of him anyways).

Also happens to represent me a bit. Thanks for that one, saintjon.

Glelas
November 28th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I have been off MMO's for a few years now. Nothing ever compared to Everquest.

SWTOR might pull me back in.

Loerwyn
November 29th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Edit: PS I totally support Loerwyn's assertions that there should be gay content for sci-fi fans not just of Star Wars, but for all sci-fi. Are we really going to worry if religious kooks and social conservatives are bothered by what goes on in Star Wars now? I thought that's who the Emperor was supposed to represent (or one facet of him anyways).
It's not that, it never has been, it's George Lucas. He's got a massive hand in the universe, as do the "holding" company (LucasArts, at least when it comes to games), and there's pretty tight restrictions on what you can or can't do.

I don't think there's really any major, openly gay canonical characters in Star Wars now that I think about it.