PDA

View Full Version : something about memory erasing ... help, please?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Torilaine
November 26th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Hi guys. So, I've had this faint memory tugging at my brain for years, and I'm hoping someone can help me out. When I was in grade school (early 90s), my class read a short story from this literary magazine. The story was about a girl who lived in a world where people could voluntarily erase their memories. She's very opposed to this, and goes to the place where people get their memories erased for something, only to find out that she herself had hers erased: she had a sister who died, and she wiped out all memory of her. The girl is so devastated by this, that she completely wipes out ALL of her memory, leaving her in an infantile state.

Anybody out there know this story? 'Cause it's been bugging me for more than a decade now!

Thanks for any/all help!
Torilaine

rainswept
November 27th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Oops, too many windows open & answered other question here. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Torilaine
June 27th, 2012, 10:49 PM
it's been a while so I'm bumping... anybody? anything?

tedstriker
June 28th, 2012, 04:56 AM
That sounds really similar to the plot of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Maybe if you search Google for that title plus "similar story"? The approach has worked for me in the past.

It also sounds like the reverse of the Phillip K. Dick story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale", so you could Google for other people making that comparison too.

Torilaine
June 28th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I have tried the "similar to" approach with sunshine and a few other stories I've come across, and got to google page 50 before giving up.

tedstriker
June 28th, 2012, 05:37 PM
LOL. What about this literary magazine you mention? Any ideas what that might've been?

Torilaine
June 30th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Unfortunately no. I don't think I was more than 9 or 10 when I read this story, so it would have been something designed for elementary school reading level. Possibly had the word "science" in the title (not even sure about that. very helpful, I know). Beyond that, haven't a clue :(

Also remembered, if it helps, the way the people in the story had their memory erased was by some kind of technology, not magic or anything.