View Full Version : help identify sci fi art book

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

reznik
December 6th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Hi,
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me identify an old sci-fi art book.
I used to borrow it from my local library when I was a young fellow back in the 1980s. Unfortunately I can't find it there anymore.

What I can remember:

* It is a book in the style of "Tour of the Universe" & Chris Foss' "Diary of a Space Person" - a bit of a story accompanied by a lot of sci-fi paintings, line drawings & the occasional photo.

* One of the paintings depicted people flying in little one man pod things, which were basically a seat covered by a bubble shaped canopy with a small motor on the seat's back.

* One of the drawings depicted a nude female spacer in a "pleasure machine" device, which I remember as a reclining chair with a petal-ended tantacle/tendril going to each of her breasts, and one to her genital region. (This sort of memory sticks with a teenage boy...)

* There was a photo depicting some weapons, which, being a sci-fi geek, I recognised were actually Star Wars weapon props.

It's not much to go on I know, but it's all I can remember specifically enough to describe.
I just hope that maybe somebody might be able to help as I can remember loving this book as a teenager & would like to be able to track it down if I can.

Thanx for reading & I hope someone can help me with this.
- Reznik

Pennarin
December 6th, 2011, 09:30 PM
The pleasure contraption I've only seen in H. R. Giger paintings. The rest would not be his (SW props?), so the book is a mix one. Perhaps a grab-it-all book by Forest J. Ackerman?

From ISFDb (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?119):
Famous Monsters of Filmland (1958)
The Frankenscience Monster (1969)
A Reference Guide to American Science Fiction Films (1981)
Mr. Monster's Movie Gold (1982)
Lon of 1000 Faces! (1983)
Forrest J. Ackerman's Fantastic Movie Memories (1985)
Forrest J. Ackerman, Famous Monster of Filmland (1986)
Forrest J Ackerman's World of Science Fiction (1997)
Worlds of Tomorrow: The Amazing Universe of Science Fiction Art (2004)

Gkarlives
December 6th, 2011, 09:51 PM
You may also want to try the yearly "Spectrum" collections. They compile fantasy and sci-fi art. I think we are on number 21 now.

reznik
March 5th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Hi All,

I just wanted to let y'all know that I finally found this book. It's "Mechanismo" by Harry Harrison, and features art by Chris Achilleos, Jim Burns, Alan Daniels, H.R.Giger, Bob Layzell, Brian Lewis, Angus McKie, Ralph McQuarrie and others...
It's not exactly the book I thought it was as it's not a book with a story - rather it mixes a roundup/review of science fiction films & novels amongst it's own fictional elements. It doesn't have the "flying pods" picture I distinctly remember either (that must be from another book...still looking for that one...), but it does have the Star Wars props (Ben Kenobi's lightsaber & stormtrooper blaster) and the pleasure machine.
An excellent book, and one that really takes me back. Highly recommended!

Hobbit
March 5th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Nearly got it: I was thinking Planet Story by Jim Burns and Harry Harrison: http://www.lairdbooks.com/shop_image/product/005044.JPG which sounds like it was close.....