PDA

View Full Version : Help Remembering a Book, by it's Cover

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Michael V. R.
December 13th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I'm looking for an older book that I read as a kid, to add to my collection. Mostly I remember the cover. It had a scantily clad young man, I THINK blonde, on a small raft or boat, standing up, or perhaps seated on the edge higher than his companions. There was also 1 or 2 scantily clad women sitting on the boat, and maybe even another similar looking man with darker hair. I don’t remember the background, but I’m thinking kinda cave like????

I believe the book had something to do with unimaginably immense buildings that humanity lived in, and this young man was looking for a way outside, to see the sky or something, which was of course illegal. I also believe this was a DAW ‘yellow’ book, not too thick, like most of them.

Maybe not a lot to go on, but thanks.

Ropie
December 13th, 2011, 05:05 AM
I believe the book had something to do with unimaginably immense buildings that humanity lived in, and this young man was looking for a way outside, to see the sky or something, which was of course illegal.

The summary sounds like AC Clarke's The City and the Stars (or Against the Fall of Night) but that cover could be almost any pulp SF cover :D

Teresa Edgerton
December 13th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Could it be The Fall of the Towers by Samuel Delany? The cover doesn't sound familiar, but a lot of books had generic covers back then. I don't remember much about the plot, though, and I could be way off.

Michael V. R.
December 13th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I'll probably have to get lucky and stumble across it at a used book store. On a side note, is this the same Teresa Edgerton who wrote Goblin Moon? It's currently on my list to get cus i've got The Gnome's Engine in my collection, waiting to be read. Thanks for trying.

Teresa Edgerton
December 13th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Yes, I am indeed that Teresa Edgerton! (Thrilling to be asked, since it doesn't happen very often.)

As for the book you are looking for, don't give up. Someone may yet come along here and have the answer.

Michael V. R.
December 13th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Wow, Great to talk to you. I'll have to get on finding Goblin Moon. Not that I don't have enough books on my immediate 'to read' list.

Michael V. R.
December 14th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I got it, Pilgrimage by Drew Mendelson. I just had to look through the list of DAW publications, and the title jumped out at me. Thanks.