PDA

View Full Version : Characters & the Human Touch

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Gagged Man
August 28th, 2002, 10:53 PM
I'm currently working on a story but the main character isn't someone who the reader would probably empathise with. It's not that he has obvious flaws but he is pretty cold.

*Do you think that a story can continue even though the main char. is pretty distant?
*What kind of things can I do to humainse him (eg. personal problems etc.) ?

milamber_reborn
August 29th, 2002, 01:14 AM
Have you read Jordan's WOT? The crucial main character is withdrawn for a few of the books, which is a good effect if it has a purpose and if it is used well. Some people say this character is 2-dimensional, but I disagree.

Forrest
August 29th, 2002, 01:56 AM
I think a character that the reader doesn't like can be used as a great tool for creating conflict and resolution, i.e. the character undergoes some kind of transformation and the reader enjoys the new version of him/her. Or, something occurs that brings the character's personality and behavior into light, so that even though his or her actions don't change, the read can now understand them and thus empathise. (empathize? spelling?)

Holbrook
August 29th, 2002, 02:26 AM
A simple method of dealing with this is giving your character a "past" certain events in his "past" has made him like he is. Best not to drop the info all at once, but hint at it.

Then have him do something out of character, that is his "present" character. This makes the reader go "Whoa!" what's he up too.......