PDA

View Full Version : A book I wish I had bought, but I don't know the name

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Irrelevant
December 28th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Years ago I read this blurb off the back of a sci-fi book, but didn't want to buy the hardcover. Now I can't remember the name.

The book took place in a world that has become so technologically complex that humans required implants in order to enhance their mental capabilities so they could keep up with the world.

The main character is a man whose punishment for a crime is to have these implants removed. The process also wipes his memory. So not only does he have to cope with this world, but he has no memory of the crime that he committed to deserve this punishment.

It's one of the most brilliant plots I've ever heard.

odo
December 28th, 2011, 02:19 AM
It reminds a bit of The Golden Age by John C. Wright, although I don't remember if there was memory wiping (no pun intended).

Irrelevant
December 28th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Looked up Golden Age. It's not the one I'm looking for but looks interesting. I think this book may have been a one book story.

Jim diGriz
December 29th, 2011, 02:54 PM
This could be Donald Kingsbury's "Psychohistorical Crisis." An homage to Asimov set against the backdrop of the Foundation.

Irrelevant
December 29th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Psychohistorical Crisis is it. I came across this book before ever having read Asimov's work. If I had come across it afterwards, I would've immediately recognized the reference and remembered it better. Thanks a lot!