PDA

View Full Version : Com_puuuu_ters! (a late night thread)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kirby
August 29th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Hooray for other people's stuff to read.

My head hurts, it's 2.30 am Friday here, and I got to finish sending off a pack of animation files to the renderin' farm. It ain't even fantastically interesting stuff.
Lordy this job is tiresome at times. :p

Computers are a scam - "designed to make our lives easier"?
(HAH!!)
I miss drawing soooo much~! :(

"Isn't it amazing what computers can do these days?"
Ohhhh yeah. THAT line. Want to get on the wick of a computer-monkey (ook ook)? Just whip that line out!

New word for your dictionaries.
"Nerd Stains". (This particularly applies to people perpetually enclosed in their bedroom with their computer, 24/7.)
It is a term for the artifacts and signs that such a person is around.
Countless half empty pizza boxes - in the fridge, and in the room.
That dank smell of carpet that has never seen the light of day, for quite some time.
Coffee cups with mould growing in them.
There are other signs, but I'm too drained to remember them for now.

Well, I'd better get back to Block03_snog09.max, it demands my attention.

I want an electric blanket that I can switch on remotely as I leave work, so that when I get home, my bed is toasty warm. (this is where my attention really is.)

I don't mean to spam on you guys, or creat some impromptu web-log thing, but I'm slightly overtired here! :D

Now get out there and type more stuff for people like me to read!

(Or you can add to this thread by telling me the [potential cynicism]wonderful improvement[/potential cynicism] that having a computer in your life has made!)

Thanks people :)

Jacquin
August 29th, 2002, 11:10 AM
I love my computer...

No really I do

In no way does it really make my job easier (I'm a Nurse for God's sake!) but it does make skiving a lot more fun...

I have met some wonderful people through this beast that lives on my desk. Of course I ofetn fall behind with my work when there are interesting threads to follow but hey, such is life. If it wasn't the computer then I would sneaking off for a crafty coffee and cig (Yeah I know I shouldn't smoke...)

Take Care

J (who is seeing a glass that is surprisingly full for a change :))

Hobbit
August 29th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Actually, J, is a strange thing but most nurses I have met smoke.... must be something to do with the job! :D

tblue...the list you've created for 'Nerd Stains' is interesting...and a little scary... *looks around carefully* :D

*fatherly tone*
Now go and get sleep!

You see if we didn't have computers we wouldn't all be able to get yelled at like that here..... :)

Right...now I've got to go.

Cadfael
August 29th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Well ... the last thing I would want is for computer illiterates to read this topic and feel left out... so I will just run through a few computer and net terms to help them understand...

ISDN = It Still Does Not Work
SCSI = System STILL Can't See It
IBM = I Blame Microsoft!
CD-ROM = Consumer Device - Rendererd Obsolete Monthly
OS/2 = Obsolete Soon Too
WWW = World Wide Wait
PENTIUM = Produces Erroneous Numbers Through Incorrect Understanding Of Maths
WINDOWS = Will Install Needless Data On Whole System
DOS = Defective Operating System
BASIC = Bill's Attempt To Seize Industry Control
MIPS = Meaningless Indication Of Processor Speed
MICROSOFT = Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools Teanagers
MACINTOSH = Most Applications Crash, If Not, The Operating System Hangs

State Of The Art = Any Computer You Can't Afford
Obsolete = Any Computer You Own
Power User = Anyone who can format a floppy disc from DOS
Keyboard =The Standard Tool For Generating Computer Errors
Mouse = The Advanced Tool For Generating Computer Errors

... Hope that helps...
:D

Kirby
August 29th, 2002, 11:40 AM
That helped marvellously! :D
Sadly I have realised that the processors on the machines here are run buy small hampters on wheels, who all appear to have died.
I need new hampsters, to finish my work, so that I may go home.

I loooove technology...

but it does not love me!

someguy
August 29th, 2002, 12:15 PM
All right here goes.....(takes on serious voice and mannerisms)

It is a poor tradesman that blames his tools!

No one ever said computers were perfect, and God only knows they could and should be better. Partly because the industry is run by computer people, quality and usability seem to go by the wayside all too frequently. But having said that, I would like to point out a few things:

1. Management of Expectations: I go onto my computer expecting that it will freeze up occassionaly and some websites will be slow. Because I expect that, and have adjusted for it, I am NOT suprised when it happens, and when it doesnt happen, it's a bonus.

2. Unreasonable demands: Computers and the Internet are multi-purpose machines. I listne to music, watch movies, play games, do work, download files, communicate, get information...all through a litte box on my desk. C'mon, they do so much, of course something has to give. We ask a lot from our computers.

3. Computers don't make life easier? OK, who here wants to give up email for work? Or go back to a manual typewriter (not me). Our work load has gone up because of the productivity improvements computers bring, but try doing your exact same job (if you are a professional or office type) without a computer or the Internet. Then you will see.

4. Your job, Tblue, is computer related. Of course it is difficult. The people who later view your graphic or media file will doubtless encounter it in a smooth and wonderful process, and have no idea how much work went into it. Hard for you, easy for others. This web site forum is a joy to use, but I GUARANTEE that the people who built it had some hair pulling moments and late-nighters. If they didnt, its because they were really, really, good.

And last but not least my friend. If you arent happy, do something else. I have no doubt what-so-ever that you are a talented individual. If computers bring you down, find a different job or field. Nothing is worth too much stress.

good luck!

Someguy

someguy
August 29th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Cadfael:

Love those computer anacronym, abbreviation thingys...too funny.

Holbrook
August 29th, 2002, 03:27 PM
I have met some wonderful people through this beast that lives on my desk

*Sniff* that's nice to hear *sniff*.

The machine here on my desk is cursed, but it has opened up my world to people of like mind...

I live deep in the English country side, not the place to find fellow swordies or fantasy nuts....

Townies buying their piece of the village and moaning about the "smells" from the farm, yes. Using there HUGE four by four to take the kids five hundred yards to the village school yes.... *sigh*

But struggling fellow want to be writers, who understand the frustration, joy and pain of trying to do this no.....

Computers love them or hate them they are a link to those far away, those we care for in a strange way, our family that exists only in words..............

Sammie
August 29th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Cad - soooooo funny :)

And T-blue:

Sadly I have realised that the processors on the machines here are run buy small hampters on wheels, who all appear to have died.
I need new hampsters, to finish my work, so that I may go home.

ROFLOL

Thanx guys - you've brightened my day :D

Carmichael
August 29th, 2002, 08:00 PM
A friend from school keeps telling me that you need to make looooove to the computer. Seems to work for him.