View Full Version : Looking for a book about christmas...or very nearly

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Davys24
January 2nd, 2012, 12:44 PM
OK,

So I only got to read it a bit so I don't remember it much, not even the author, nor if it's even a full book or just a short story!
So anyway if memory serves,
it took place on a space station (military) in a universe where Christmas had been (I think) outlawed or something...the station was for training children as (I believe) space navy officers and there was suddenly a rash of gift giving during that time....
What Strikes most in my memory was that the name of the holiday was written distort-ly but pronounced something like Christmas (or was it Hanukkah?) and that the other words of the holiday were also artfully warped but just enough to make sense and know what they were talking about..

now I had a weird feeling it was by Weber, but after checking his website I doubt that...

Sorry I don't have more!
Please help!

Thanks!!!

Pennarin
January 3rd, 2012, 12:53 AM
A War of Gifts, in the Enderverse of Orson Scott Card.

Orson Scott Card offers a Christmas gift to his millions of fans with this short novel set during Ender's first years at the Battle School where it is forbidden to celebrate religious holidays.

The children come from many nations, many religions; while they are being trained for war, religious conflict between them is not on the curriculum. But Dink Meeker, one of the older students, doesn't see it that way. He thinks that giving gifts isn't exactly a religious observation, and on Sinterklaas Day he tucks a present into another student's shoe.

This small act of rebellion sets off a battle royal between the students and the staff, but some surprising alliances form when Ender comes up against a new student, Zeck Morgan. The War over Santa Claus will force everyone to make a choice.

Davys24
January 3rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks for that!!!!!

Elaine
January 3rd, 2012, 09:03 PM
That's amazing, you getting the right book with such small amount of description. And, I must say, the book sounds interesting. Maybe I will upload it.

Thanks too,

Elaine
@inkdipped

Davys24
January 4th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Hey,

Just wanted to say that it's exactly the book I saw at my friend's. I went to my corner library and they had 1 copy left!!
Perfect for bus rides now that school is starting up again!

Thanks again!

Pennarin
January 5th, 2012, 12:24 AM
The (to me) funny thing is I have not read the book, nor do I own it.

In any case, you are welcome :)