View Full Version : Villains

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Gagged Man
August 29th, 2002, 11:05 PM
It's probably feasible, but how many people have written a story where the main character is a villain?
Did it go well? Did you do a lot of characterization with the villain?Just want to know because it seems like a good idea to me.
Probably got it from watching too much Peckinpah (love Peckinpah!), mainly Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia .

Thanks for the imput,
Gagged Man.

milamber_reborn
August 30th, 2002, 01:21 AM
I haven't done that yet, but I like going into the point of view of the enemy.

user123
August 30th, 2002, 02:49 AM
I haven't come up with such a story yet, but I have thought about writing one like for some time. I think I would enjoy writing something from the "Bad Guy's" point of view. After all many of the most interesting characters in novels are the evil ones. Sometimes they seem to have more depth to them than the heros.

Jacquin
August 30th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Gagged Man
It's probably feasible, but how many people have written a story where the main character is a villain?
Did it go well? Did you do a lot of characterization with the villain?Just want to know because it seems like a good idea to me.
Probably got it from watching too much Peckinpah (love Peckinpah!), mainly Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia .

Thanks for the imput,
Gagged Man.

Have a read of this (http://www.sffworld.com/authors/r/roy_jacquin/fiction/surgeon1.html). I have attempted to do just that.

Take Care

J

Giroth
September 1st, 2002, 01:50 PM
Haven't done that, but I love to give the villains surprising secrets and histories that deal with the hero.

LAJ
September 1st, 2002, 03:17 PM
Yes, it would be good to see what fuels the villains mind. Is it purely for hate that the villain wants the hero dead, or is it out of the growing fear that the hero is could be the death of him/her?

If I was writing in this perspective, I'd start with the villain being easy about things, but getting more anxious as the story wears on to the point of near insanity, and the realisation that (s)he has bitten more of than (s)he can chew.

It would be more original to base the story on the bad guys perspective, but the trouble is, is that it can be a bit fustrating for the reader if the villain fails, as it would seem that all that has happened in the book has been for nothing. I found this when watching 'The Jackel', where part of me wanted the goodies to win, and a part of me wanted the Jackel to. When he failed I thought 'Argh! He was so close!'

Therefore I'd think it best to have a mixture of both the villains side and the hero's one imo, but there could always be more of one side of the story than the other.

Hattrick
September 1st, 2002, 05:10 PM
I have also seen a few movies lately that deal with the villains in an interesting way, although they are not the main characters.

I saw both for the first time in the last few days on TBS or TNT. (I don’t remember which one)
They are ‘Fallen’ and ‘The Devils Advocate’

Spoilers

‘Fallen’ was interesting for the fact that the “bad guy” wins at the end. It begins and ends with the villains narration. During the movie he gets away with everything, kills many innocent people, and all the good guys. In addition absolutely nothing is accomplished by their deaths. It was very interesting for this fact and more than a little refreshing, if for no other reason than a change from the normal happy endings.

‘The Devil’s Advocate’ was a movie I really liked, mostly for the ending. Satan doesn’t win (he doesn’t really lose either), but Pacino’s acting and the writing combined to create a really compelling view of Satan. His point of view was explained but not until the end and not enough IMO. I wanted him to win, although I new he was evil and would have liked to hear much more from his point of view. I don’t know if the book the movie is based on (if it was even so) accomplished this feat, but if it did it would be a very interesting read.

Basically, I liked the ending of ‘Fallen,’ where the villain wins, and thought that the villain in ‘The Devil’s Advocate’ was the best thing about the movie. If these things could be incorporated into a book with as much success as they were incorporated into these movies, I think readers would have a fresh and interesting read.

Forrest
September 1st, 2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Jacquin

Have a read of this (http://www.sffworld.com/authors/r/roy_jacquin/fiction/surgeon1.html). I have attempted to do just that.

Take Care

J

That was disturbing and horrific. Well done.:D

Wyvername
September 6th, 2002, 04:43 AM
can't help thinking...villains always have two sides...to quote a classically jaded example, how about Darth Vader before he made Sith Lord? basically I believe in no dark without light & vice versa. like, every hero has the capacity to turn evil & every villain the capacity to self-redeem...makes for pathos if nothing else...

Ian W.
September 6th, 2002, 05:37 AM
My charactors could be classed as villains IF you are human.

But it's like saying that a domestic cat is a villain. It is to a mouse.

I may have to post another extract. Because nobody actually has a clue to what I'm talking about!

:)