PDA

View Full Version : BrotheHood of the Wolf.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

someguy
August 30th, 2002, 12:27 PM
OK, seeing as someone brought up Resident Evil...

Did anyone else here love BOTW as much as I did?

I saw it in the theatre, big screen and sound, and I thought it was one of the coolest movies I had seen in a very, very, very long time. Some of those scenes were just priceless.

Granted, it dragged near the end. Should have been a bit shorter. But I thought it was a gorgeous flick.

Anytakers?

enazwo
August 31st, 2002, 01:50 AM
Well first off there were many things I enjoyed about "Pact des loups Le" or "The Brotherhood of the Wolf" based upon the true events that history refers to as "The Beast of Gevaudan". However what bothered me was the glaring anacharism of the Native American Character Mani, played by the brilliant Hawaian actor Mark Dacascos. Now I know a thing, or two, about Native Americans. I was born on Fort Bertheld Reservation in North Dakota. I'm Arikrara, Hidautsa, and Mandan on my mothers side. On my father's side I'm Oglalla-Souix and Chippeawa. And so the point being according to all my sources, though I know Native Americans were taken slaves back to areas of Europe none were trained in Martial arts, they were slaves. And I didn't feel for one second that character Mani was legitimate. But what bother me so, so much more was the movie attempting to explain away one of the world's greatests mysteries. According to the French they say they have the greatest wine, the best food, and the greatest mystery "The Beast of Gevaudan". And from what I have read I would have to agree, Except for the food thing, after all we came up with the Big Mac:confused:

someguy
August 31st, 2002, 02:08 AM
My friend, as to the martial arts thing....nobody in Europe was doing that stuff either! Just part of the movie to make it more fun. I loved the character of Mani. Whether it was even remotely historically realistic is unimportant to me.

enazwo
August 31st, 2002, 02:18 AM
If you're talking fun then I would have to agree:)

someguy
August 31st, 2002, 12:16 PM
RE: Movies in general.

It seems to come down to what you are looking for AND what the movie is trying to accomplish. If a movie is trying to be a full-on historical drama, you expect and demand accuracy. If it is trying to a fun action movie that just happens to occur in a historical time frame, then it's all good.

At least, that's my take.

By that standard, I totally enjoyed the movie. That opening fight scene was so cool!!! Loved that camera work

chocky
September 2nd, 2002, 04:03 PM
I thought it was a great movie! I saw it in the theatre and was very impressed. Mani was not a realistic character but he was fun. I thought it was an original movie. I will not soon forget it.
Is it out on DVD?

Hobbit
September 2nd, 2002, 04:22 PM
Saw this on DVD at the weekend, so it's out in the UK, Chocky!

thought it looked good but rather too long - was drifting off at the end badly, but have definitely seen worse.

chocky
September 2nd, 2002, 07:52 PM
Just looked on Amazon.
October 1, 2002 release date for USA/Canada.

Brandon
September 4th, 2002, 02:23 AM
Definately a cool flick but it got a bit quirkie in the end. I didn't like what the beast turned out to be, that cross-breed that somehow followed that guys command...and I didn't like that fight in the end with the bone-whip. The fight itself was good but that whip was just too corny...

A+ for the costume designs and depiction of that time period

Rumfuddle
September 19th, 2002, 04:40 PM
I saw it on DVD a while back. The film began really well but I think the beast ruined it, it was just badly designed - utterly unconvincing.
I think it was French cinema trying too hard to gain mass popularity and losing it's way. A weird cross between a stylish art-house flick and a facile action movie.