PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel in the Sky

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Cocophone
January 22nd, 2012, 01:24 PM
I'm trying to remember a book I read in Junior High (about 1974 to 1976) about a group of students who are transported to another planet for a week or two for a survival class, but the transportation device breaks and they are stuck on the planet.

I did a some googling and I think it might be Robert Heinlein's "Tunnel in the Sky"

Can anyone suggest any other book titles that it might be?

Thanks.

Jim diGriz
January 22nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
No, that's definitely "Tunnel in the Sky". Although it does owe more than a nod to "The Lord of the Flies"

Cocophone
January 22nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the help.

I would like to get my teenage daughters to read it, but they don't usually listen to Dad's suggestions on most things.

Jim diGriz
January 22nd, 2012, 01:54 PM
If you do manage to convince them I hope you manage to find a copy. Although it's one of Heinlein's famed juvenile series written from '47 to '58 it's not one that I see in print regularly. My faded old copy is a Pan SF edition from the early 70s.

B5B7
January 27th, 2012, 11:29 PM
A book with some similar themes, that might even appeal more (or equally!) to your teenage girls (although the Heinlein novel, which incidentally is one of my favourites, also has some strong female characters) because the main character is a young female is Alexei Panshin's 'Rite of Passage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rite_of_Passage_(novel)).

Hobbit
January 28th, 2012, 05:36 AM
It is Tunnel in the Sky: my first Heinlein I ever read! - but if it's hard to find, Podkayne of Mars might work: strong female protagonist.

Agree with Rite of Passage too.

Mark