PDA

View Full Version : post-apocalyptic in the Smokies

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Contrarius
January 25th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Okay, I've got this book on my mind today. I read it in the 80s or maybe the 90s. Dunno when it was written. Post-apocalyptic, but there is still technology -- automobiles and such -- just more limited and scattered. Interstates and so on falling apart -- I remember good descriptions of highway pavement crumbling. Main character was a teenage girl, who had a younger brother, living in the Smoky Mountains. Part of the story involves her driving hell-for-leather down what's left of the Blue Ridge Parkway -- I think maybe she was trying to get her brother to a hospital, but I don't remember for sure why she was in a hurry. I don't remember most of the plot, but the climax involves her managing to stow away aboard a rocket -- a non-orbital space shot that was supposed to be unmanned, and I don't remember how or why she got on board. She survived re-entry by packing all sorts of stuff around her for padding.

I've always remembered the scenes where she was driving down the Parkway, 'since I'm very familiar with driving through the Smokies. Dunno what brought the book to mind today, but I'd love to be reminded of what it was!

lolrus
February 16th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Sounds like something I read way back. Could it have been by Kevin Anderson & Doug Beeson?

Jim diGriz
February 16th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Sounds a lot like David R. Palmer's 'Emergence' except for the bit about a brother. Actually, come to think of it, Candy does have a 'baby brother' in that but Terry is a macaw.

This is from last month? How did I miss that?