PDA

View Full Version : Book Series - Alternate time lines

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Phenzor
March 15th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I have a vague recollection of reading part of a series of books back in the mid-70's regarding a guy (vague enough?) who gains access to a craft that allows him to slide between alternate time lines of earth. I think the craft was called something like "skutter" or "skitter" and used the time lines probability to identify it.

And if this is a false memory, I need to start writing it.

Jim diGriz
March 16th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Heinlein's 'The Number of the Beast', maybe? It did have a number of quasi-sequels of which the the less is said the better.

Phenzor
March 17th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Heinlein's 'The Number of the Beast', maybe? It did have a number of quasi-sequels of which the the less is said the better.

Thanks, but looking at the synopsis, that's not correct.

The book I am remembering takes place on 'Earth' - but with jumps to multiple different alternates. Sort of like the TV series 'Sliders'. Also, pretty sure there was only a single 'Hero' in the story.

rainswept
March 17th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I think 'skitters' are from The Dosadi Experiment, but that's not your story... possibly the time shuttles of Keith Laumer's Crosstime Imperium: Worlds of the Imperium (1962), The Other Side of Time (1965, & my favourite), & Assignment in Nowhere (1968)?

The protagonist in these is Brion Bayard, and the mechanism of interdimensional travel is the Maxoni-Cocini drive.

otistdog
March 18th, 2012, 12:40 AM
The word you want is "skudder." There are three books: 'At the Narrow Passage', 'No Brother, No Friend', and 'Vestiges of Time'. The author is Richard C. Meredith.

Phenzor
March 18th, 2012, 10:15 AM
The word you want is "skudder." There are three books: 'At the Narrow Passage', 'No Brother, No Friend', and 'Vestiges of Time'. The author is Richard C. Meredith.

Thank you very much! That is it.