PDA

View Full Version : Old sci fi story I read

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

jrussomjr
March 17th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Could someone possibly help me out? I read a short story years ago about a pilot on a spaceship that was trapped there because the autopilot or robot was malfunctioning. The pilot could not move because any motion would trigger the robot to attack. I think the story ended with the pilot flashing a light at the instrument panel, or clock maybe, that housed the 'brains' of the robot, whereby it destroyed itself. I would love to read it again.

jrussomjr
March 19th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I also remember that the robot was something like a medical droid or something and that it kept attacking the pilot everytime he moved, breaking his ribs. I think he was stuck in the ship for several days like this, eventually able to free himself after he caused the machine to smash its controls after flashing the light on them -- the machine mistook the flashing light for movement.

jrussomjr
March 27th, 2012, 10:00 PM
This must have been a hard one, but after considerable research I found out that the story I am thinking of is called Life Hutch. It was written by Harlan Ellison and was his first sci-fi story back in 1952 or 56.