PDA

View Full Version : Good animes to mention.........

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lugath jared
September 4th, 2002, 12:45 AM
Since this is a TV and FIlem thread......

Name me all the good animes that you can mention.

As much as I am not that much of an anime enthusiast, I have seen some very good ones (on AXN-asia), and, I'm willing to see more, provided they're good.

I'll list down a list of the very few animes I've seen.

Till then, go ahead and post.

Gagged Man
September 4th, 2002, 12:54 AM
Huzzah!! Another anime fan. Ok, may fav anime (movies unless noted otherwise) are {no order}:

*Ghost In The Shell
*Akira (natch)
*Princess Monoke
*Metropolis (just got released in the cinema where I am)
*Blood: The Last Vampire
*Gasaraki (Series)
*Martian Successor Nadescio (Series, not sure of spelling)
*Castle Of Cagliostro
*Neon Genesis Evangelion (Series, once again its a natural choice)
*Orphen
*FLCL (Series, same guys who did Eva)
*Wings of Honnemaise: Royal Space Force (Honnemaise, spelling?)
*Gunsmith Cats (Series)
*Patlabor 1 & 2 (Very talky anime)

Whoa, pretty long list (sorry),
Gagged Man

chocky
September 4th, 2002, 12:54 AM
In no particular order:

Ninja Scrolls
Akira
Fist of the North Star
Princess Monoke
Violence Jack

I thing all these have good stories and good violence. Fist of the North Star has the goriest violence. Akira has the best animation and best story but a little cerebral. Ninja Scrolls is good story and good action.

Brandon
September 4th, 2002, 03:26 AM
I second Ninja Scroll, some of the coolest fighting I've seen

Dakel
September 4th, 2002, 08:32 AM
I answered your question before you posted it :p

Anime and Manga (http://www.sffworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1321) <-- A thread in the Art forum

Lugath jared
September 4th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Dakel
I answered your question before you posted it :p

Anime and Manga (http://www.sffworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1321) <-- A thread in the Art forum

Drat !

No matter.........

Here's a small list of the animes I've seen:

Vandread (this is good. No, this is DAMN good. One of the best animes I've seen)

Dual ! (The first anime I've seen that was not chibi, or kiddie. Real good big giant robot stuff, and one of the better non-Gundam, non-Evangelion gigantic mechatronic animes out there)

Sakura Wars (weak plot, but I liked the Kobus. Steampunk !)

NieA_7 (from the makers of Serial Experiments Lain, and the studio that produced Dual!, Pioneer! Also makes good DVDs)

Fushigi Yuugi (Didn't like to romantic bits, BUT, the character design was good, and so were the character concepts. A beautiful basis for character designs)

Shadow SKill ( a VERY good fighter anime, along with interesting fighting techniques and milleu concepts)

Now and Then, Here and There (a less well-known anime, and a very SAD, serious, and dark one, but also very meaningful. Not for kids)

Strange Dawn (nice Celtic music)

Gensomaiden Saiyuki (just saw this serial recently, and very much interesting: a modern-day adaptation of the original Journey to the West. And finally: a fantasy anime where the heroes are not teenagers, but handsome young men ! Yes !)

Slam Dunk (hmm, wasn't interested. big fan base though)

There's are a few more animes I've seen that I've forgotten to mention here, so, I'll post when I can.

saintjon
September 4th, 2002, 10:21 AM
*cracks knuckles*

Okay, lemme see...

Akira

Samurai X (I prefer the OVAs or whatever to the series, although I haven't seen much of the series). Better sword fighting than Ninja Scroll, if you ask me. Check it out.

Spriggan. Indiana Jones meets the Matrix. If you can't find it, download it. It's friggin wild. Some of the best gun battles EVER!!

Ghost in the Shell. Beautiful animation, meaningful story and a huge friggin gun at the end... what more could you ask for?

Ninja Scroll. duh.

Wings of Honneamise. I think that's how it's spelled. I'll check. Little action, but very deep.

Macross Plus. The wet dream of a guy who grew up on Robotech.

Notable exception: Blood, the Last Vampire. Totally amazing, but the disappoint of this not being a full-length movie is just too sharp.

Dakel
September 4th, 2002, 10:39 AM
It's worth mentioning (for those that don't know) that Rurouni Kenshin = Samurai X. I agree with saintjon on both counts: "Better sword fighting than Ninja Scroll" and "Check it out".

saintjon
September 4th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Oh yeah, Dakel's avatar reminded me:

Escaflowne is pretty sweet. (The episode where Van totally slaughtered Delandau's dragon hunters was the best).

Bond
September 4th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Rurouni Kenshin is great. If you've only seen the first few episodes of the series you are missing out. Episodes 25 with the introduction of Saitou Hajime to about episode 75 is one continuous story arc that is fantastic. Features the best series of showdowns I have seen in anime:

Saitou vs. Himura
Himura vs. Cho
Saitou vs. Uonuma Usui
Himura vs. Shinomori
Shinomori vs. Okina
Himura vs. Seta Soujiro
Himura vs. ShiShiO

...among others

I mean which to choose?

I just LOVE the music used when the duels begin. Reminiscent of the drums used during the fight scenes in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but better. I've seen the last movie not the early stories although I've read those online. It is okay but not as good as the series.

For something more grim Berserk is excellent.