PDA

View Full Version : Anthology - afterlife in circular room with ball, time traveling computer...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

tedstriker
March 31st, 2012, 02:46 AM
Hi everyone. I'm trying to remember the name of an anthology dating from anywhere between 1930 - 1980, but probably circa 1965. There are two stories I'm pretty sure were together in it.

The first: A man wakes up in a circular room that's empty except for him and a large ball. He may have died, and this may be the afterlife. The ball makes moves towards him, but he avoids it. The ball is body temperature. He finally stops avoiding it and embraces it - that's the end of the story. I know this sounds sort of like "Arena", but it's not.

The second: An intelligent computer travels in time, I forget whether to the future or the past. It detects another computer, which it initially sees as an enemy. It turns out that the other computer is itself, or a relative.

There's a third I'm really hazy on (and which may have been in another anthology) about a time machine that may have looked like a beehive. The protagonist visits the future, arriving in an agricultural area. Some people ride tricycles. I forget what happens afterward, this was not one of my favorite stories.

Thanks in advance!

B5B7
March 31st, 2012, 11:41 AM
Hi - the second story you mention is A.E. van Vogt's 'Fulfillment', a list of which anthologies and collections it has been in is here (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?63009).

tedstriker
March 31st, 2012, 01:59 PM
You're right! "Fulfillment" was definitely it. What's really funny is that I'm a fan of van Vogt. Quest for the Future has been one of my favorite books since I was a kid. Most likely I read "Fulfillment" in a van Vogt collection - I'm pretty sure my dad had one, and none of the anthologies it appeared in ring a bell.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like van Vogt wrote the story about the afterlife, which means I'm still missing an anthology.