PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Game of Thrones Season Two [SPOILERS for EVERYTHING ASOIAF!!]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Michigan
April 16th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I don't know many people who haven't read the books who like Sansa, which is a shame because she's one of my favourite characters, but if they don't give her someone to play off and voice her internal emotions then she's going to come off as a spoilt brat who's dragged from King's Landing to the Vale and goes along with everything. If you don't want Sansa and the Hound to happen due to casting, fine, but she at least didn't think he was a spy or out to get her by the end, which meant we saw more of who she was in expressing it to him. They are in so much danger here, though I am very biassed because I want more Sandor. Like, I see the Shae thing as her just being paranoid because no doubt any new maid is going to be a spy. Also, Shae is no more of a whiner than Sansa, so I don't get why she is loved for it.

Palfrey - Thanks for reminding me. I watched his reviews last season. I don't mind when he get's something wrong, because afterwards he's always really shocked. xD

I am worried about how cutting minor characters is going to work out for them in the end. They seem to want to make this the Stark show, but it's... not really. It's a little bit about everyone, and I know that can't happen to the same extent on screen, but eh... I want more Dondarrion rumours anyway!

I don't think there are many people who have read the books who like Sansa. I've only read the first three books but I still think she comes off as a spoiled brat who is just dragged along and goes along with everything.

Loerwyn
April 17th, 2012, 04:15 AM
I think it's partially due to the actress, for me. I just can't muster up the energy to care for her because her performance doesn't bridge that gap for me. I'm not saying she's bad, it's just she doesn't tug on my heart strings.

I think that episode had some good development for her, because we saw just how close to breaking point she's getting, but it seems that no matter what position Sansa is in, her actress always acts the same.

bearcatmark
April 17th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I think it's partially due to the actress, for me. I just can't muster up the energy to care for her because her performance doesn't bridge that gap for me. I'm not saying she's bad, it's just she doesn't tug on my heart strings.

I think that episode had some good development for her, because we saw just how close to breaking point she's getting, but it seems that no matter what position Sansa is in, her actress always acts the same.

Wow it is the opposite for me. I think the actress does a pretty exceptional job conveying her emotion and pain with just her eyes and the slight tone of the voice. Has away of showing how hard she is fighting to "Save herself some pain," as Sandor advised. I'd love to see her relationship with Sandor develop the next few episodes like it did in the book.

Palfrey
April 17th, 2012, 04:52 PM
The ep's title, and the whole scene on the beach (was that Damphair? Little was made of it if it was) seemed a bit nonsensical. I was expecting the full-on drown-and-revive routine, at which point "What Is Dead May Never Die" would make sense to non-readers.

That's true - I found myself questioning what I remembered from the books.

Werthead
April 17th, 2012, 05:31 PM
The ep's title, and the whole scene on the beach (was that Damphair? Little was made of it if it was) seemed a bit nonsensical. I was expecting the full-on drown-and-revive routine, at which point "What Is Dead May Never Die" would make sense to non-readers.

That wasn't Damphair. They're holding back on casting him until they reach the events of AFFC. This was just a generic priest of the Drowned God.

Also, Theon was given the full 'drowned and revived' thing as a child (as most ironborn were). The baptism-by-salt-water is a sort of catch-up ritual. Only the most fanatical followers of the Drowned God do the drowning thing on a regular basis.

Mike_Starks
April 17th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I think Sansa would probably be the most difficult character from the books to bring to the screen (besides Tyrion who is masterfully portrayed)

The character has no humor, and no joy in her life.
She can not be happy, her situation doesn't allow it.
She can not show sadness or anger, or risk death.
She MUST be a zombie.

There were 4 times she showed emotion. 3 I think where she screamed from the horror of her life, and then the one on the walking bridge when Joffrey showed her her father's head- the cold look of revenge in her eyes I thought was pretty good.

The character of Sansa is not a fighter, but she knows she MUST stay alive as she's pretty sure her brother is marching south to save her.

I think it's toughest to play a character who is generally disliked.
Jamie is hated, but there's so much emotion with him you get to see it and flat hate him for it- and you can respect the actor.

Sansa on the other hand, is a brat and spoiled who never respected her family until it was too late. There's nothing EXCITING about that character.. you just dislike them.
BUT, is the actress makes you dislike her- if the actress makes you uneasy because you know Robb is fighting south for her, but you think she's a troll of an ungrateful daughter- that means the actress is doing her job perfectly.

My favorite example of this is The Green Mile. After watching it, I wanted to flat murder Percy. That means the actor who played Percy did an amazing job, and I had to respect that, even if I still squirm when I see the actor.

Loerwyn
April 18th, 2012, 03:27 AM
My favorite example of this is The Green Mile. After watching it, I wanted to flat murder Percy. That means the actor who played Percy did an amazing job, and I had to respect that, even if I still squirm when I see the actor.
Well, with Percy, you did want to knock him flat, but it's what made his fate satisfying.

But Sansa? I just can't muster up any energy to care for her in any way. I think she's in a terrible position (Joffrey? Ewwwww!), and I would sympathise, but something about the actress' delivery is stopping me. It's a little bit the same with Cersei and Daenerys - I just can't find any energy or reason to care for them on any level at all because I just can't get into their characters.

kged
April 18th, 2012, 04:49 AM
You're a monster, Loerwyn. A cold-hearted callous monster.

While I certainly don't care for Cersei (whose horrifying death-scene I anticipate eagerly) I just don't know how you can't be fascinated by Dany and her journey, and riveted by poor sweet helpless Sansa, trapped in a nightmare when she expected the rest of her life to be a romantic dream. Many viewer's reactions to some performances has startled me, but to Sansa above all. I think she has been played absolutely perfectly by young Sophie - her depiction of the selfishness and the naivety of the character has been spot on. That stupid proud smile at the Sept of Baelor, when she actually thinks she has saved Ned, is heartbreaking.

You monster!

Loerwyn
April 18th, 2012, 05:33 AM
You're a monster, Loerwyn. A cold-hearted callous monster.
You've only just realised?

DailyRich
April 18th, 2012, 06:06 AM
That wasn't Damphair. They're holding back on casting him until they reach the events of AFFC. This was just a generic priest of the Drowned God.

Also, Theon was given the full 'drowned and revived' thing as a child (as most ironborn were). The baptism-by-salt-water is a sort of catch-up ritual. Only the most fanatical followers of the Drowned God do the drowning thing on a regular basis.

They may be holding back the "drown and revive" routine for when the Damphair appears on the show. He's clearly a more extreme adherent of the religion, so it would make sense that his baptism ritual would also be more extreme. It'll be a nice contrast when people expect a little pitcher of sea water over someone's head and then the Damphair full-on drowns them.