PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Game of Thrones Season Two [SPOILERS for EVERYTHING ASOIAF!!]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

saintjon
April 23rd, 2012, 06:27 AM
Ha. I can't understand why they dressed him in standard Lannister armour when that armour they made for Conan Stevens last season was so perfect. Hopefully at some point they can find some cash to make one for the new guy.

Luya Sevrein
April 23rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
I don't understand why they seem to have LESS cash than last season. The show was a major sucess story, amazingly high reviews on imdb, most watched show currently, winner of a fair few awards... Why less of a budget, axing the horses, barely showing the dragons, etc...

Are they saving up for the House of the Undying and the Blackwater, maybe? Hope so. >D

ALSO. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING COMING OUT OF HER. That is a hell of a lot more creepy than I imagined. xD

DailyRich
April 23rd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Are they saving up for the House of the Undying and the Blackwater, maybe? Hope so. >D

I think that's what it is. They absolutely cannot skimp on that.

Danogzilla
April 23rd, 2012, 11:02 AM
I think that's what it is. They absolutely cannot skimp on that.

Yeah, in a recent GRRM interview I heard him say the entire episode is the battle of the Blackwater.

Also, did anyone else think the scene at the Qarth gates had a Dune the movie feel to it?

Loerwyn
April 23rd, 2012, 05:06 PM
Also, did anyone else think the scene at the Qarth gates had a Dune the movie feel to it?
With the spice merchant stuff? Definitely.

So, my thoughts:

- Tyrion is *definitely* the most honourable character in the series. The way he treated Sansa really, really was touching.
- Sansa and Daenerys both went up a little in my estimation today.
- Tyrion's right-hand-man summed up Joffrey perfectly, and I laughed. Loudly.
- Joffrey is one censored-up little brat. I felt sorry for those ladies.
- I liked the surgeon/priesty lady that Robb spoke to. She seemed cool.
- Who's that long haired bloke who Tyrion intimidated?
- That scene with Renly and Stannis made the actor who plays Stannis look good.
- Onion Knight? I think I missed something there. Oh. He's Davos? Right... Okay. Maybe? I don't know who he is either :p
- Dark scenes are way too dark.
- HOLY *BLEEP* WHAT THE-

Edit: Oh. Also forgot to mention I found the majority of those from Qarth to be a bit... pale, all things considered.

saintjon
April 23rd, 2012, 07:03 PM
The long haired bloke was Cersei's nephew, Lancel (Kevan Lannister's son). He was Robert's squire, the one carrying the wine. He's Cersei's incest on the side.

Edit: Onion Knight is a nickname for Davos tied in with how he earned his status with Stannis (and lost his fingers). I don't know if you've read the books and forgotten or if this is all new to you, I'm not sure if they're ever going to get to the details about this story but if you must know...

Davos was a smuggler until a certain point during the Greyjoy rebellion. Stannis was under a protracted siege with no end in sight and just as his army was reaching the point of utter starvation Davos smuggled a shipload of onions through the blockades which basically saved Stannis and everyone under his command from starvation and defeat. Not only are onions delicious but they win wars too! In true Stannis fashion the Lord of Dragonstone rewarded Davos timely supply delivery with knighthood and at the same time punished him for his previous life of crime by removing the fingers of one of his hands.

raggedyman
April 23rd, 2012, 07:06 PM
Loerwyn , that was Lancel that Tyrion was intimidating. This was another great episode and we also got to see Roose Bolton ( boo , hiss) talking with Robb At the beginning.

Werthead
April 23rd, 2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah, in a recent GRRM interview I heard him say the entire episode is the battle of the Blackwater.

No. The episode is called 'Blackwater', but the entire episode is not the battle. That would be nuts, and way too expensive.

As for the budget, they are using an absolutely monumental amount of CGI-enhanced backgrounds and CGI-expanded crowd scenes. There's a hell of a lot of scenes which look CGI-free which are actually quite complex shots (most of the scenes in the Red Waste, for example, were filmed on a beach and all the background desertscapes had to be painted in over the sea, which gets complicated when multiple characters are moving around in front of it). That's taking a fair bit of the budget. They've also had to re-render the title sequence four times alone this season, though it should settle down a lot now.

They did get an extra $9 million this year, and apparently most of that has been reserved for the Blackwater episode, so it should look pretty good.

AuntiePam
April 23rd, 2012, 07:35 PM
Melisandre told Renly that Stannis was "born of salt and smoke"*. When did that happen?

Dang. Only four episodes in and already I'm forgetting stuff.

*Which led to Renly's great line: "So he's a ham."

kged
April 23rd, 2012, 09:28 PM
I liked the surgeon/priesty lady that Robb spoke to. She seemed cool.My heart lurched when they went back to her and Robb, who was clearly taken by her (and why not) - I had a horrible feeling she was going to turn out to be Jeyne, remade as a sort of boil-in-the-bag feisty action hero girl. I was greatly pleased that she wasn't. She was a very striking cameo, though - I wonder if we'll see her again?

...we also got to see Roose Bolton ( boo , hiss) talking with Robb At the beginning.Wasn't he creepy?! My God he made my flesh crawl. I don't know if I'm projecting this on to him, because I know who and what he is, but...ugh. He's hard to watch, in the best sense.

Melisandre told Renly that Stannis was "born of salt and smoke"*. When did that happen? Laughing boy Stannis was born on Dragonstone, a volcanic island in the sea, so - smoke and salt. More to the point it is prophesied that Azor Ahai will be reborn from smoke and salt, so the witch is restating her belief that Stanno is AA himself reborn.

Quibble time: I think they've made a mistake with the casting of the new Mountain. He is so much less impressive in sheer threatening physical bulk then the last guy. Pity.

Qarth looked jaw-droppingly amazing. I'm pretty sure I made an audible noise when they opened the gates to reveal that vista.

And the beginning was brilliant - really authentic coarse soldierly humour, well written and played (until the giant direwolf intervention, which was not quite so funny).