PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Game of Thrones Season Two [SPOILERS for EVERYTHING ASOIAF!!]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Luya Sevrein
April 30th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I liked this episode. But, it felt like it passed way too quickly. It felt like one of those 'lining up for other things,' episodes, apart from with Harranhal, though it would have been nice to see Jaqen at work. As for not seeing him again? Nah, I think they'll get a good Soup scene.

I would have liked it if they kept Margaery more innocent and lovely, just for the shock of her being so ambitious later on. Perhaps they could have revealed it in a scene with Olenna. ...LET ME WRITE. D> But meh, this'll do.

Bronn. Osha. BRONN AND OSHA. I'm in love.

kged
April 30th, 2012, 08:08 PM
And the amazing Maisie still amazes!

I know she's had many of us singing her praises over the months, but this episode just stopped me dead in my tracks. This is a girl just days past her 15th birthday, and she absolutely held her own in a killer scene with Charles Dance. Amazing is the word, no doubt about it.

Loved this episode entirely, absolutely sterling stuff. Just...just...brilliant. Every little thing was bang on the money. Tyrion didn't even steal the show this week, and there is no higher praise (although his "demon monkey" scene was hilarious, as was the "plots and schemes" line). The snow scenes were quite stunningly beautiful and suitably epic, and the Ironborn were pleasingly rowdy. Also, I confidently predict I'll be seeing that Godawful face of Pyat Pree in my nightmares shortly *shudder*.

And let joy be unconfined - finally, THAT is Stannis!

KatG
April 30th, 2012, 10:02 PM
But I've not read the book. To me Brienne went from standing in a corner silently to crying her eyes out. Where was the build up to that? The logic, even? It just happened. You never saw her get invested in Renly enough for it to make sense. To me, anyway.

He believed in her, let her fight, made her a member of his king's guard. She told him that she would go into death for him. And they had a bit here and there that indicate how she viewed him. Like I said, they do it quick.

Oh, right. I find it hard to follow Chinfluff's scenes 'cos I just want to punch him. Constantly.

That may eventually change. Or not.

She's only appeared two/three times this season so far, though. The scenes with her, Bran and Hodor tend to be amongst my favourites. I like her attitude and her style, but I like the idea that a young boy is overcoming his disability and is shaping up to be a competent leader.

You'll be seeing more of her this season.

Loerwyn
May 1st, 2012, 03:49 AM
He believed in her, let her fight, made her a member of his king's guard. She told him that she would go into death for him. And they had a bit here and there that indicate how she viewed him. Like I said, they do it quick.
I'm not doubting that, but I'm saying it just didn't seem... right? Maybe it's different in the books, but it just seemed Brienne going from Standing In A Corner to Weeping And Wailing happened for no explained reason.

That may eventually change. Or not.
Probably not. Maybe if he gets his head out from 'twixt his cheeks and stops thinking the world of himself, but I doubt that'll happen much.

You'll be seeing more of her this season.
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Luya Sevrein
May 2nd, 2012, 04:51 AM
I think they are seriously not developing minor characters that well. Brienne, for example, Sandor - so that when those characters come to huge points of their stories, no one quite gets why they've made the choices they've made. But this isn't their fault, it's just a time thing I guess. They've only got so much, which is why the prostitute scenes and non-book characters annoy people, I guess.

Also, Charles makes me LOVE Tywin. I know I shouldn't, but gosh that guys good.

I also prefer ShowCat to BookCat. I want her to by my mum. >C (Sorry, Mum.)

Loerwyn
May 2nd, 2012, 06:06 AM
I think Luya stepped on it, there. Brienne's been in it for, what? 3-4 episodes now? Total screen time maybe 20 minutes if we're being generous. That's not enough time on any level to really build anything for her beyond She Is Tall And Blonde And A Lady But Not So Oh Wow She Is Good With A Sword and what have you, let alone She Loves That Beardy King Bloke With The Devo-Inspired Wife.

For me it would have been simpler and more appropriate if Brienne didn't cry over Renly as someone she loved, but instead lamented her inability to protect him? That would, in terms of the redux stories for the show, make more sense - at least for now. It gives her motivation to avenge Renly, and thus bring closure on her self-perceived failure to fulfil her duties.

Edit: Not to mention the fact that EVERYONE EVER loves Renly. Except Stannis.

Daddy Darth
May 2nd, 2012, 08:33 AM
Epsiode #5 was amazing - watched it twice! I can't believe it is half way over already. It looks like the ratings have been excellent as well. Truly this is the definition of must watch tv!!!

chris777
May 2nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
I believe I need to read book 2 again. I feel like they are doing a few things differently.

1) Where is all the talk about how amazing swordsmen Jamie Lanister is? So when he loses his hand soon, it will be all that much more devistating.
2) I agree with Luya about the lack of the secondary character development. But also that it's pretty obvious they don't really have time to do it all.
3) Didn't Tyrion think of using the wildfire to defend against Stannis? I seem to remember it was Cersei's idea to start making it, but Tyrion's idea on how to use it?

algernoninc
May 2nd, 2012, 01:04 PM
Cersei planned to use it in catapults. It is explained both in the book and in this episode how bad that idea is - one fumbled bottle and the whole stock goes boom inside the city walls.

I also need to re-read the books. I keep expecting to see Beric Dondarrion, Thoros of Myr and their Merry Men of Sherwood Forest, but apparently it's in the third book.

chris777
May 2nd, 2012, 01:31 PM
Cersei planned to use it in catapults. It is explained both in the book and in this episode how bad that idea is - one fumbled bottle and the whole stock goes boom inside the city walls.

I also need to re-read the books. I keep expecting to see Beric Dondarrion, Thoros of Myr and their Merry Men of Sherwood Forest, but apparently it's in the third book.

Haha. Same. But that is why Gregor's people are torturing everyone. Asking questions about that group.

Also where is Bran's friends Jojen and Meera Reed. The Green Seer? Aren't they supposed to be involved by now?