PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Game of Thrones Season Two [SPOILERS for EVERYTHING ASOIAF!!]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

AuntiePam
May 7th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I don't mind the sex scenes but I'm annoyed by the romance. These blooming relationships (Rob's and Jon's) may be important to the plot (I've forgotten) but they do slow things down. I have the same issue with romance in books and movies, especially when the focus is on action, mysteries, thrillers -- there shouldn't be time to think about anything except winning the war, solving the mystery, stopping the killer, etc. Guess I'm just getting old.

Also, while it's nice that the budget allows location filming in Iceland, the mountainous snowy background still looks like CGI. Is it? And while we're there, all I can think is "Those actors must be freezing, and didn't their mothers tell them to wear something on their heads?"

This episode, I loved that Dany stamped her foot and nobody (except Jorah) even pretended to care. Girl needs to get a grip. She's starting to remind me of the American Idol contestants who think they deserve to win because they want it so bad. "Music is my passion! If I can't do this, I don't want to do anything!" I'm sure Qarth has quickie-marts and they're probably always hiring.

Jaqen, Bronn, Jorah, The Hound, Tywin -- more interesting to me than any of the major characters, except for Tyrion, of course.

kged
May 7th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Also, while it's nice that the budget allows location filming in Iceland, the mountainous snowy background still looks like CGI. Is it?I can't quite decide, but I suspect it's probably the usual mix of real scenery with CGI to fill gaps, increase the awesomeness, and hide any inconsiderately-placed hydroelectric plants. One thing I find I keep noticing is the light in the scenes beyond the Wall. I don't know what they're doing, but it has a crepuscular beauty that really takes my breath away. I wasn't expecting it to be so beautiful out there in the wild lands.

As a change of pace from my usual Maisie praising, I just want to say that Isaac Hempstead-Wright has quite astonishing gravitas for an actor of his age. His first confrontation with Theon left no doubt about who was the boy in that room.

saintjon
May 7th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I can't quite decide, but I suspect it's probably the usual mix of real scenery with CGI to fill gaps, increase the awesomeness, and hide any inconsiderately-placed hydroelectric plants. One thing I find I keep noticing is the light in the scenes beyond the Wall. I don't know what they're doing, but it has a crepuscular beauty that really takes my breath away. I wasn't expecting it to be so beautiful out there in the wild lands.

As a change of pace from my usual Maisie praising, I just want to say that Isaac Hempstead-Wright has quite astonishing gravitas for an actor of his age. His first confrontation with Theon left no doubt about who was the boy in that room.

It's very much how I pictured it in the books although I thought there were more trees around the Fist of the First Men (lot of places near where I live where they could've filmed those parts brilliantly). Couldn't agree more about Bran.

I can't get Ygritte out of my mind! In a season of perfect home-run castings she might be the best yet!

Evil Agent
May 7th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Wow...

For me, each episode is still better than the last. This was my favourite of the season, and probably in my Top 3 of the ENTIRE series so far. So, so good.

Highlights:
-The opening scene with Theon blew my mind. So hard to watch. Maester Luwin's eyes, Bran's pleading, Rodrik's final words and botched execution, Theon's face at the end... Simply AMAZING.
-The riot scene! Very well done. Finally, The Hound! THE HOUND!
-Jon and Ygritte. Oh my god, I love her. The spooning was one of the cutest, most tender moments of the series so far.
-The death of Amory Lorch (Jaqen's second kill). Hilarious!
-Iceland is beautiful (but I already knew that)
-Ghost! Shaggydog! Summer!

Low points:
-I guess the dragon theft is a low point (because it never happened in the books), but honestly I'm okay with it. Dany's story in book 2 was pretty boring, to be honest. The only thing that really bothered me was the death of Irri (and most of Dany's Dothraki).

KatG
May 7th, 2012, 11:38 PM
LOL, this may be your best list yet.

1. I worked out what annoys me about the "new" title screen. The "duh nah nah nah" violin bit is repeated too much. -- They could only afford so much music. :)

2. Well that was a bit sudden. -- It's another, there was a battle, trust us, we just can't afford to show you move. Basically, Theon's ship crew attacked an outpost fortress of the Stark's, and Roderick sent two hundred fighters they still had to fight what was assumed to be a larger force there, on Bran's orders, leaving Winterfell largely undefended. So Theon's thirty men were able to take it since he knew the best ways in to the place.

4. Bronn/Brann/Whatever rocks -- Bran, short for Brandon. Just think of him as Brandon. Sir Bronn is the delightful mercenary of Tyrion's who now heads the City Watch in King's Landing. I was rather sad to see that the Hills fighters seem to have disappeared from the story in the riot in Kings Landing.

19. Seems almost like Arya and Tywin could be friends. -- I kept thinking, these two in a spin-off could be good. :) You've got to love it when a fifteen year old actress can keep up with an actor like Dance. I surrender; she's wonderful.

21. Hmm... Me thinks he knows who Arya is. -- Yeah, when she's spilling wine on him, sure. Not a great performance for a water dancer.

23. GET ON WITH IT YOU GORMLESS TWIT. -- Oh come on, he's Ned raised.

34. Phew. Hound arrived. But... still. -- Yes, and he called her little bird, so perhaps the Hound and Sansa crew will be happier now.

38. Who's the slimy guy in Qarth? I don't like him. -- He's the spice merchant, part of the ruling council of 13, and the guy who spoke for everybody when Danny was first outside the gates of the city in Episode 4.

48. Oooh, there's the medic girl again. Yay. -- Boo, it was awful. And no explanation for why she was there either. When Robb first encountered her, she was tending to the Lannister wounded, then she left. Why is she now in the Stark's camp? And unmolested by soldiers as a camp follower, no less. Guess Robb declared her under his protection, which is infernally stupid. The whole plotline has been extremely stupid, for me.

53. Can the Wildlings win, please? Please? -- It depends what you mean by "winning."

56. Who's the guy talking to Rob(b)? He seems intelligent. -- Bolton. Shudder.

62. Osha is awesome. Very selfless of her. -- Yes, but annoying. In the book, Theon just gives her a spear when she asks for one. But this being the t.v. series, she must get naked. (It's a wonder they kept Brienne really.) I did, though, absolutely love them escaping, with the two wolves padding behind them.

63. Wonder if that was the creepy zombie guy. Hm. -- In the book, Danny goes to the tower voluntarily as part of her attempts to get ships out of the Qarkians. This change with the kidnapped dragons might be interesting.

These blooming relationships (Rob's and Jon's) may be important to the plot (I've forgotten) but they do slow things down.

Jon's is and has more to do with things than just romance. Robb's may be if it's substituting for Jeyne; otherwise no, it's something to give Robb to do that isn't as expensive as a battle scene.

Girl needs to get a grip.

She's not being spoiled. All she's got to defend herself is bluster. They want her dragons and she has nothing. By demanding respect, the play as discussed previously with Jorah is to make them think she might be worth something to them eventually if they humor her. The spice merchant dismisses that option, Daxos is willing to go along with it but wants the marriage or a dragon.

Jaqen, Bronn, Jorah, The Hound, Tywin -- more interesting to me than any of the major characters, except for Tyrion, of course.

That's because they get to be cool, nasty and sarcastic, whereas the other main characters are earnest, angsty and sulking. That's why Arya is always the favorite -- she gets to be cool, nasty and sarcastic as well as earnest and angsty. :)

Maester Luwin's eyes, -- Maester Luwin rocked the whole thing.

The only thing that really bothered me was the death of Irri (and most of Dany's Dothraki).

They are prepping for the new arrivals and losing more extra cast members cause it's cheaper, I think.

Next episode sounds like a combo of a set-up episode and the Undying material, or at least some of it.

algernoninc
May 8th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Joffrey and Chinfluff are supposed to be unsympathetic bastards, So my opinion is they did a good job of playing the negative characters. The reaction of the audience to them is the correct one, so kudos to the scriptwriters and directors.

I loved Ygritte in the book and I have high hopes of her in the movie, but I still think Osha played the better wilding in this episode.

Dany still seems weak and almost ready to cry in her confrontation with the merchant. I guess my opinion of her is colored by what I read in Dance With Dragons.

Despite the sacking of Winterfell and the riot in King's Landing, I think I liked the previous episode a bit more.

Evil Agent
May 8th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Maester Luwin rocked the whole thing.Yeah, Luwin (Donald Sumpter) has been one of the best casting choices so far, in both seasons. He's pure class.

Luya Sevrein
May 8th, 2012, 03:42 AM
I'm getting the impression Loerwyn doesn't like Theon... Can't think why. 8)

I just got up, fell down the stairs and hurt my tail bone. 8( IT HURTSSS. So my ramblings are tainted with pain, but...

I really loved the episode. I think, to be fair, it's a TV SERIES so you're going to have to put up with the fact there's romance. They try to throw a bit of everything in series', to make them appeal to as many people as possible OR to accuractely represent all the emotions of real life. But this episode did seem to lay it on a bit strong...

The riot scene was my favourite! SANDOR WAS SO BADASS! How awesomeeeee. They went all Walking Dead on the High Septon. 8( Poor guy. Tyrion is amazing, or rather, Peter as Tyrion, but just Tyrion's character in general - that line about Jaime. And, I got my little bird line, so I'm perfectly fine. Also nice to see Sansa pelting that guy in the face, and the latter scene between her and Shae.

Winterfel did happen quickly. My friend and I were laughing when Theon walked in all 'We took the walls with hooks, now we have the Castle,' or whatever. xD But the prolonged scene in the rain? Brilliant. Ahhh Ser Rodrick. 'No more crying now child, I'm off to see your father.' <3 The fact Osha had to use sex is annoying - and it's leaving more gaps, like, why didn't she just knife Theon? -raise brow- But the ninja pose in the mist made up for it. <3

Those gaps I was talking about...? Like, Tywin was never as central at Harranhal. I don't think he stayed there long - hence Arya not asking for his death. I think? I can't think why else she wouldn't. However, it really seems like she should by now. They're trying to make her look 'smart'. I'm assuming it's because of the information she's gaining? But that'd all be pointless if she just had him killed. Hell, she could do it herself. GOD ARYA. >C Also, Jaqen's face when she said 'NOW!' xD Awesome.

Ygritte and Jon seemed like fanfiction... Ugh, Robb and Taleesa have a good dynamic but seriously, it's annoying me, is she Jayne?? Who knows. If not, leave, now. Cat's 'Oh ****, I found my son flirting,' face as well... Wonderful.

I really want Dany to shut up. You're father and brother got DEFEATED, and the Kingdoms were CONQUERED, y'know, like your House did? You are no one, and that Spice merchant guy was owning her at every turn, I loved it. I am concerned about how they've murdered a lot of her people, and Irri D: WHY? WHA? Where were Jorah and Doreah? But the idea of the Undying stealing her Dragons makes it... feel more like a story, like something has to be overcome. Iuno. I like it. Dany's storylines are usually so boring.

That's all, I think... Also, D'AW TOMMEN AND MYRCELLA, and wolves, and THE DRAGONS CRYING. QQ

Loerwyn
May 8th, 2012, 05:13 AM
LOL, this may be your best list yet.
Yay.

They could only afford so much music. :)
Definitely, but the theme is largely the same, it just drags on too long in the wrong places.

It's another, there was a battle, trust us, we just can't afford to show you move. Basically, Theon's ship crew attacked an outpost fortress of the Stark's, and Roderick sent two hundred fighters they still had to fight what was assumed to be a larger force there, on Bran's orders, leaving Winterfell largely undefended. So Theon's thirty men were able to take it since he knew the best ways in to the place.
I knew what was going on there (that makes a change!), but it just seemed... to happen, if you get my meaning. I would have put in a scene towards the end of the last one that shows Chinfluff and his crew ready to attack. But what was shown was one of the better scenes this season, I think.

Bran, short for Brandon. Just think of him as Brandon. Sir Bronn is the delightful mercenary of Tyrion's who now heads the City Watch in King's Landing. I was rather sad to see that the Hills fighters seem to have disappeared from the story in the riot in Kings Landing.
Thanks for clearing that up. Martin uses too many similar-sounding names, and when you haven't got text to clear them up then it gets very confusing. So Bran and Bronn are both really good characters!

I kept thinking, these two in a spin-off could be good. :) You've got to love it when a fifteen year old actress can keep up with an actor like Dance. I surrender; she's wonderful.
Agreed.

Yeah, when she's spilling wine on him, sure. Not a great performance for a water dancer.
Maybe Littlefinger creeps her out?

Oh come on, he's Ned raised.
At least he didn't start rambling about honour.

Yes, and he called her little bird, so perhaps the Hound and Sansa crew will be happier now.
Mayhaps. But that scene just before, for me, was a bit too much.

He's the spice merchant, part of the ruling council of 13, and the guy who spoke for everybody when Danny was first outside the gates of the city in Episode 4.
I kinda knew of him, but not who he really is. But he seems slimy.

Boo, it was awful. And no explanation for why she was there either. When Robb first encountered her, she was tending to the Lannister wounded, then she left. Why is she now in the Stark's camp? And unmolested by soldiers as a camp follower, no less. Guess Robb declared her under his protection, which is infernally stupid. The whole plotline has been extremely stupid, for me.
I guess it is. I see what you mean, it is stupid to have another woman who (chances are) will get her Starks out. But maybe they'll surprise you with her later?

It depends what you mean by "winning."
Murder ALL of the Chinfluffs! :D Seriously, though, I want the Wildlings to come out on top. Oddly enough, what we've seen makes me think of them as... the better people?

Yes, but annoying. In the book, Theon just gives her a spear when she asks for one. But this being the t.v. series, she must get naked. (It's a wonder they kept Brienne really.) I did, though, absolutely love them escaping, with the two wolves padding behind them.
She still got a spear! Oh!

But yeah, I wasn't happy with her becoming ANOTHER sexy scene. But at least we saw no sexy bits. Just some boobs and a trimmed ladygarden (which seemed wrong in context). She's still one of my favourite characters, though.

In the book, Danny goes to the tower voluntarily as part of her attempts to get ships out of the Qarkians. This change with the kidnapped dragons might be interesting.
Mayhaps. :D

*Waves a Wildling flag*

Werthead
May 8th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I can't quite decide, but I suspect it's probably the usual mix of real scenery with CGI to fill gaps, increase the awesomeness, and hide any inconsiderately-placed hydroelectric plants. One thing I find I keep noticing is the light in the scenes beyond the Wall. I don't know what they're doing, but it has a crepuscular beauty that really takes my breath away. I wasn't expecting it to be so beautiful out there in the wild lands.

My understanding is that there is very little CGI in the Iceland shots (one of the reasons for filming there). The odd light is because that's how Iceland looks at that time of year, and also because they were filming during the 'short day' period, when the sun is only up for 4 hours at a time. It made filming a logistical nightmare.