PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Game of Thrones Season Two [SPOILERS for EVERYTHING ASOIAF!!]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

saintjon
May 14th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Well say what you want, I think it was very nice of Evil Agent to even bother warning you when the thread title says: spoilers. I actually thought you were joking a bit when you complained. This is the spoiler thread for season 2 (Cotinuation of the season 1 one you mentioned with the massive warnings in the title). You know most of the community here are big fans of the books did you think in the spoiler thread we were going to restrict ourselves to spoilers from just this season of the show when things that happen in this season and the changes they've made are going to have an impact on things that happen later?

Edit: This happens all the time, people start talking about the new season, the new year, the new book or whatever in the old thread and then someone thinks to make a new one. The same warnings apply, it's the same discussion. I'd be happy to stay in the same thread but it's like the "What's the lates movie you saw this year? 20xy edition" only with Game of Thrones. I really don't see where you have a leg to stand on here, you made the choice to ignore Evil because the other thread was dead, if you posted your recaps in the other thread I'm sure you would've occasioned comment. This forum's going to get pretty tedious if we have to put a huge all-caps disclaimer on every thread people want to discuss freely in.

Luya Sevrein
May 14th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Yeah, there's no need to begin being nasty, though. Where else can she go? This is the only thread that gets anything close to a decent amount of replies.

Anyways - Episode 7!

Felt like a bit of a filler episode, to me, but an enjoyable one. It set a lot of things up, and left us with Dany running, Jon being cornered, Stannis' fleet on the way, Jaime at swordpoint, Bran and Rickon burned alive, etc. Shiz is getting real.

Okay, so.

I completely agree with suciul. I thought the House of the Undying in the books was interested, but... inevitably out of place and anti-climactic. I never thought they'd change the storyline, and I have to admit, I love it. They've done well. It comes across as Pyat Pree and Xaro using Dany to tame and raise the Dragons for themselves, so there's actually something to fight for. The scene shocked me, and... I just really like it.

Ygritte and Jon - so happy those Wildlings came, that stuff was getting repetitive. Though I did laugh, especailly at 'and I thought we were done, but then he said, turn back around.' I love Rose Leslie.

The Sansa and the Hound scene. Yey! They unlocked some of his hate. I wish they'd gotten to the 'I'm honest, it's the world that's awful.' line, because I love it. It was nice to see the affect all of this beating and near rape is having on Sansa, when she woke up shaking, though after that? I don't know what happened. The Hound telling on her, Shae pulling knives. -shrug- I assume it's only because if she got caught Joffrey'd likely half kill her.

Arya and Tywin is getting repetitive now, too. But I do love them both - especailly Tywin. Charles Dance, I might be in love with you, even if you're oldish.

Tyrion not knowing how to comfort Cersei was a nice moment.

I was a bit let down with the whole Jaime storyline. I thought, when he escaped, Brienne would stop him. But eh. The part in the cell was nice, up until he murdered his own family - it doesn't seem like something Tywin would approve of or have taught him, nor something that was necessary. He could have told him to fake illness, or even just beaten him. I guess they're going for the full on bad guy affect. Cat in all of these scenes was amazing though.

I'm also glad that she is Jeyne, and I'm looking forward to the scenes at the Crag, against my better judgement.

So, all in all, I just want the next one. 8(

Edit: Ahahaha, Theon's stuff was so memorable I forgot it. -.-; I hate seeing Maester Lewin sad... But I like Hodor, especailly interacting with Ousha. I think it's a tad obvious those bodies aren't Bran and Rickon but everyone's going to assume that of any non-screen death so. 8D

Palfrey
May 14th, 2012, 10:45 AM
The Sansa and the Hound scene. Yey! They unlocked some of his hate. I wish they'd gotten to the 'I'm honest, it's the world that's awful.' line, because I love it. It was nice to see the affect all of this beating and near rape is having on Sansa, when she woke up shaking, though after that? I don't know what happened. The Hound telling on her, Shae pulling knives. -shrug- I assume it's only because if she got caught Joffrey'd likely half kill her.

I was surprised that Shae tried to help Sansa hide the blood too - it doesn't seem like Shae - although I suppose for the sake of the plot someone had to do it.

AuntiePam
May 14th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Tyrion not knowing how to comfort Cersei was a nice moment.

I saw that scene differently. Tyrion has tried to be nice to Cersei before and she always turns on him. He didn't want to be rebuffed again. Whatever it was meant to show, it was beautifully done.

So the Hound was the one who ratted out Sansa? I need to watch again. I assumed it was Cersei's handmaiden. Because seriously, if I had a choice between obeying Shae or Cersei, I'd obey Cersei. Shae has no power.

Evil Agent
May 14th, 2012, 01:49 PM
But you started off the discussion on S2 in that topic (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=679652#post679652). It seems a little odd to restrict it to Season 1 (when you yourself started the S2 discussion there) when you're able to discuss all of the books in that topic.

We have three topics:
1. No Spoilers
2. Spoilers for show
3. Spoilers for show and books.

This is #2. The one I linked to is #3.
Wow, you just won't drop this hey? I'm sorry, but for the third time, this is just wrong. Even a moderator told you that you're wrong. There are not 3 topics, this is the ONLY thread anyone is posting in right now. I've tried to warn you, so that you don't get spoiled, but you're not listening.

Yes, I tried to start Season 2 discussion in that old thread, but people weren't interested (you'll notice that no one has posted there in nearly two months). This new thread was started by someone, and it is now the ONLY one about Season 2. So for the final time, there are not 3 different topics, there is only this one. And it's full of spoilers for all the books. If you choose to continue in this thread, it's at your own risk.

If you want spoiler-free discussion, you'll have to start posting in the spoiler-free thread. Alternatively, there are several other good places on the internet for spoiler free discussion, including the weekly New Viewer Recap (http://winteriscoming.net/2012/05/episode-17-a-man-without-honor-new-viewer-recap/) at winteriscoming.net

(P.S. I knew this would happen, when the new thread was started. A mod really needs to edit the spoiler warning in this thread's title).

Evil Agent
May 14th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Good episode, but not quite as good as the previous two. A slight step down…

That being said, it had some seriously awesome scenes.

High points:
-Harrenhal looked AMAZING.
-New Gregor was actually pretty good.
-Tywin finally being ruthless (ordering the burning of farms and fields)
-Another excellent scene with Arya and Tywin. They’re really nailing this storyline, in spite of the big changes. Loved the backstory of Harrenhal, Aegon and his sisters (so much name dropping, including dragons!). The Milord/My Lord thing (lifted from ADWD) was kind of neat.
-Some of Catelyn’s best scenes this season. Finally, really felt like Catelyn from the books!
-The Jaime/Karstark stuff was great.
-Loving Jon and Ygritte’s chemistry, but not sure what's gonna happen with Qhorin...

Low points:
-The Alton Lannister thing. It just seemed kind of pointless and stupid. I didn’t really like his character, or his backstory, or the fact that Jaime killed him (seemed like a moronic escape plan), or the fact that his death overshadowed Karstark’s son’s death. Just seemed like a dumb change.

Lastly, I think it’s pretty obvious that Talisa IS Jeyne Westerling. She looked reluctant to go to the Crag (the home of the Westerlings) because she’ll be recognized. Also, did you see Roose looking slightly unimpressed with her and Robb’s developing relationship?

Rob B
May 14th, 2012, 02:59 PM
As of this post, no more arguing about spoiliers non spoilers, spoilers for books, spoilers for the series, spoilers for DUNK and EGG.

I've changed the title to SPOILERS FOR EVERYTHING ASOIAF.

When season three starts, we'll begin a new discussion thread. Meanwhile, the other on Loerwyn linked to is NOW CLOSED since it has not received new posts in over a month

kged
May 14th, 2012, 07:30 PM
-New Gregor was actually pretty good.Agreed, with some relief. Although tall, he lacks the overpowering bulk of the last guy; but when given lines to say and a scene to act in, not bad at all. He managed to convey the essential nastiness of the Mountain pretty well, in a short scene.

Am I the only one who thought Emilia did a tremendous job playing Dany's self-flagellation scene tonight? I just don't know why she gets such a bad time from many posters here and elsewhere. There was real meat in that scene tonight, a real sense of her hurt and her guilt.

Luya Sevrein
May 15th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Agreed, with some relief. Although tall, he lacks the overpowering bulk of the last guy; but when given lines to say and a scene to act in, not bad at all. He managed to convey the essential nastiness of the Mountain pretty well, in a short scene.

Am I the only one who thought Emilia did a tremendous job playing Dany's self-flagellation scene tonight? I just don't know why she gets such a bad time from many posters here and elsewhere. There was real meat in that scene tonight, a real sense of her hurt and her guilt.

I think she's good, there's plenty of worse actors in the show. I think it's something to do with being a pretty female lead with a cliche basis for a character.

Also, about the Hound, maybe you are right. Maybe the handmaiden was the one who told, it would lead into what's going on with Shae and Tyrion getting all panicky. (From previews.)

Daddy Darth
May 15th, 2012, 07:05 AM
"You know nothing, John Snow" - so great. I giggled when Ygritte finally uttered that phrase. I thought their scenes were so perfect. I honestly have enjoyed this season more than the first, I have settled into the pace and the decisions around what would be changed. It's just working. My wife keeps asking me if this or that was in the books - truthfully it is getting blurry b/c it has been a while. We are both totally digging the Arya/Tywin scenes and overall my wife is really pleased with the way the female leads are really at the fore and for her are coming across stronger.

Can't wait for #8!!!!