PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Game of Thrones Season Two [SPOILERS for EVERYTHING ASOIAF!!]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Evil Agent
May 21st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Overall, I'm disappointed this week. One of my least favourite episodes of the season, and (as others have said) that should not be possible right now! Maybe I wouldn't have minded if it was Epiaode 2 or 3, but we're in Episode 8! It should have been one of the best!

There were some good scenes (particularly Tyrion/Bronn/Varys, I was laughing so hard!).

But this week, the negatives overshadowed the positives for me. Primarily two things:

1) The lack of weasel soup (one of the BEST moments of the entire book). Her whole casual escape from Harrenhal felt very anticlimactic. :(

2) The Talisa/Robb scene was brutal. Downright painful. I don't even know if I'll be able to re-watch it. It was excruciatingly boring, and infuriatingly overlong. I got so annoyed that I had to leave the room for a bathroom break, and was stunned to find her still talking when I returned.

Anyways, decent episode overall, but not great.

saintjon
May 21st, 2012, 03:56 PM
Overall, I'm disappointed this week. One of my least favourite episodes of the season, and (as others have said) that should not be possible right now! Maybe I wouldn't have minded if it was Epiaode 2 or 3, but we're in Episode 8! It should have been one of the best!

There were some good scenes (particularly Tyrion/Bronn/Varys, I was laughing so hard!).

But this week, the negatives overshadowed the positives for me. Primarily two things:

1) The lack of weasel soup (one of the BEST moments of the entire book). Her whole casual escape from Harrenhal felt very anticlimactic. :(

2) The Talisa/Robb scene was brutal. Downright painful. I don't even know if I'll be able to re-watch it. It was excruciatingly boring, and infuriatingly overlong. I got so annoyed that I had to leave the room for a bathroom break, and was stunned to find her still talking when I returned.

Anyways, decent episode overall, but not great.

in the first season when they strayed off the path of what-Martin-wrote they seemed to do a nicer job of it. Her story was kind of hackey and predictable IMO. I think it worked better for the story the way Martin did it, "off camera"

Evil Agent
May 21st, 2012, 04:07 PM
although I kept expecting that conversation to edge towards the idea of the chain and it didn't, so that will be next episode, I presume.You might be presuming too much. Many people (myself included) are starting to think the chain has been cut out completely... :(

AuntiePam
May 21st, 2012, 06:40 PM
You might be presuming too much. Many people (myself included) are starting to think the chain has been cut out completely... :(

I think so too. We've seen Tyrion with the wildfire but there's been nothing about collecting iron to make the chains. But he did mention his knowledge of the sewers and drains, the Mud Door (?), so maybe they'll do something there instead.

Also, they used their entire ration of the C word in this episode. Enough, already.

ETA: And the sewer/drain stuff might tie in with Tyrion saying his secret weapon was pig ****.

kged
May 21st, 2012, 08:08 PM
Also disappointed that Talissa is really from Voltanis. That gives her no "official" status in Westerorsi society, which means Robb marrying her won't be as big of a deal as it was with Jeyne Westerling in the books.
I don't recall Jeyne's status as a factor at all. Ready to be corrected, but surely it was simply the thwarting of loopy old man Frey's dynastic ambitions that led to the Red Wedding.

I'm coming around to Talisa. I took me some time to adjust, but if it turns out she's replacing Jeyne rather being an alter ego for Jeyne, I can live with that. She seems like someone the Young Wolf would fall for, whereas Jeyne was pretty much your average minor noble girl, IIRC. Now that I've adapted to that change I can see her as a better fit for Robb. And being spectacularly beautiful doesn't do her any harm either. Edited to add: Bloody Hell - she's Charlie Chaplin's grandaughter!

In the river getaway scene, Jaime talks about three men in the Seven Kingdoms that might have a chance against him. I reckon I've got two; Ser Loras Tyrell, who would certainly give him a fight, and Ser Barristan Selmy, who would hand him his ass. But who is the third? Garlan Tyrell, maybe? Or The Hound?

Werthead
May 21st, 2012, 08:25 PM
I did think they might do Danys' House of Undying effort in this episode, but they are apparently saving it for episode 10, to end the whole season. The beginning of it might be in Episode 9, as will some of Jon meeting Mance, but most of that episode will be Blackwater. And as we know, since Ramsey Bolton is not coming to Winterfell until next season, Theon's plotline is pretty much done, except for Bran and Rickon really escaping this time from the crypt.

At this stage I think Episode 9 will be mostly (or entirely) stuff in King's Landing before, during and after the Blackwater. There may also be some stuff with Arya (I believe she's in some of the promos) and so maybe brief scenes with Dany and Jon. I'd like to see the House of the Undying next week as well, since that means that GRRM would have written it (and thus it's more likely to be like the book and also rock) and it paces things out better, with Episode 10 wrapping up Dany in Qarth and having her meet Barristan without having to combine it all with the Undying stuff.

Spoiler from the TV series:

The actor playing Barristan did some shooting for this season, as one of the production crew took a photo of him, so he should show up soon.

Mance Rayder has not been cast, and I doubt very much we'll get to him before next season. In fact, I believe casting sides have been seen for him, meaning he definitely won't show until Season 3.

As for Ramsay, I'm starting to think he will appear before the end of the season. He hasn't shown up in casting sides for S3 and Roose mentioning him several times in succession suggests to me he'll appear soon. Against all of the odds, he must have been successfully cast in secret without the fans cottoning on.

I also adored the scene between Davos and Stannis, apart from Robert being named as his oldest brother - he's middle, ne? I forget. Anyways, it was amazing. They just need to cuddle it out.

Robert was the eldest brother. That was why he was king. Stannis is the middle brother, and Renly the youngest.

The actor playing Stannis, however, is 11 years older than the actor playing Robert, which is an interesting choice. I think it works, since you never see them together and Robert looks much older than the actor is thanks to the beard.

In the river getaway scene, Jaime talks about three men in the Seven Kingdoms that might have a chance against him. I reckon I've got two; Ser Loras Tyrell, who would certainly give him a fight, and Ser Barristan Selmy, who would hand him his ass. But who is the third? Garlan Tyrell, maybe? Or The Hound?

I agree with Loras and Barristan. The third might be the Hound or the Mountain (whose superior size and strength would be formidable). If he knew him, maybe Oberyn Martell, but that seems unlikely.

saintjon
May 22nd, 2012, 05:45 AM
It is mentioned at some point that Oberyn had shown up to tournaments in the past, so it's not insane to think that Jaime's seen him fight (although maybe he only jousted or something). Also, while Jaime is REALLY good he also has ego cubed and tends to have an over inflated opinion of himself (up until around Feast for Crows when he sees Loras blustering around and remembers when he was that much of a cocky young arsehole). However Jaime feels at that point in time I would give Barristan, the Cleganes, Garlan Tyrell, Brienne (yes even if he was fit, Brienne is a beast of a fighter, can't be easy to beat out a whole field of melee participants vying for a prestigious lifelong position like she did) and even Bronn a decent shot against him if not a fairly good one. That's just people I figure he would know of too. If Jaime found himself fighting Qhorin Halfhand I don't think he'd come out of that one looking as handsome as he does. People who like to fight are very good at convincing themselves they can beat anyone, watch some ufc cards if you don't believe me.

Werthead
May 22nd, 2012, 04:57 PM
Something that would be amusing is if Loras Tyrell is one of the three, since Brienne just beat him in a fight a few weeks/months earlier :)

Something that I'm getting irritated at in the series is the inconsistent approach to geography. They've reiterated that Winterfell is 'hundreds of miles' from the sea (it's actually about 250 miles from the nearest shore, IIRC) and about 120 miles from Torrhen's Square, indicating that TV Westeros is about the same size as Book Westeros (it's actually about 150 miles by the book maps, but nothing too outrageous). However, this makes zero sense considering Littlefinger's journeys. Even assuming Renly's 'camp in the Stormlands' was in the northern Stormlands, fairly close to King's Landing, it is impossible for Littlefinger to have travelled there from KL, up to Harrenhal, down to Highgarden and then (presumably) back to KL with the Tyrell army in so short a period of time.

We then have Tywin fretting about Robb Stark's proximity to the point that he thinks even snatching a night's march is critical, even though his army is a good 400 miles to the west and therefore far too far away to even hear about Tywin leaving Harrenhal before the Lannister army can be gone. It's just odd.

Of course, GRRM also has some issues in this area. Both the book and the TV series show Jon and the Night's Watch travelling an infitesimal distance on the map whilst everyone else is gallivanting about areas the size of France without a problem, which never really seemed to make sense.

In fact, Littlefinger's journeys are starting to remind me of the totally inexplicable moment when Elrond somehow teleports into Aragorn's command tent in the movie of Return of the King despite being hundreds and hundreds of miles away through hostile territory (the same territory our heroes have just taken two and a half movies to battle through) just half an hour earlier.

Palfrey
May 22nd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Something that I'm getting irritated at in the series is the inconsistent approach to geography. They've reiterated that Winterfell is 'hundreds of miles' from the sea (it's actually about 250 miles from the nearest shore, IIRC) and about 120 miles from Torrhen's Square, indicating that TV Westeros is about the same size as Book Westeros (it's actually about 150 miles by the book maps, but nothing too outrageous). However, this makes zero sense considering Littlefinger's journeys. Even assuming Renly's 'camp in the Stormlands' was in the northern Stormlands, fairly close to King's Landing, it is impossible for Littlefinger to have travelled there from KL, up to Harrenhal, down to Highgarden and then (presumably) back to KL with the Tyrell army in so short a period of time.

We then have Tywin fretting about Robb Stark's proximity to the point that he thinks even snatching a night's march is critical, even though his army is a good 400 miles to the west and therefore far too far away to even hear about Tywin leaving Harrenhal before the Lannister army can be gone. It's just odd.

Of course, GRRM also has some issues in this area. Both the book and the TV series show Jon and the Night's Watch travelling an infitesimal distance on the map whilst everyone else is gallivanting about areas the size of France without a problem, which never really seemed to make sense.

The show is skipping large blocks of time. Also, travel would take a great deal longer in the arctic conditions beyond the wall.

They're hyping up the Blackwater episode already - I hope they can live up to the expectations they're setting.

Luya Sevrein
May 22nd, 2012, 06:38 PM

People love giving Loras props. I don't get it. I've seen him placed near the top on all fighter lists, and Brienne near the bottom for that horrific crime of being female. She beat him. Simple. He has to use tricks in tourneys, he trains Tommen poorly. Until the sack of Storm's End he had never known battle. Loras Tyrell does not stand a chance against Jaime.

I'm gonna guess Selmy, the Hound, and maybe the Mountain. But if they don't have to be alive? Maybe Arthur Dayne.