PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Game of Thrones Season Two [SPOILERS for EVERYTHING ASOIAF!!]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39

KatG
May 30th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I don't really get the concept that Sansa trusts the Hound in the t.v. scene. She really doesn't. She half-trusts that he won't rape her, and she gambles that by insisting that he won't hurt her. She's hoping that because he protected her before and seems to have a thing for her that he will go along with that, but it is a moment in which Sansa has to be pretty brave. There's no reason for her to go with the Hound, especially with Stannis likely to win.

At that point in the books, we really don't know much about the Hound, and neither does Sansa. She's somewhat fascinated by him, but kind of the way one would be with a raging bear.

Okay, canvas time. My daughter needs a preferably three word, sort of funny username that is Game of Thrones themed but won't have been taken by someone else (that's the hard part.) She only knows the first two seasons of the show and half the first book. "YouknownothingJonSnow" is of course not available. My efforts to help were deemed lame. So any suggestions?

Luya Sevrein
May 30th, 2012, 04:12 PM
You're kinda putting your thoughts on their (tv or book) relasionship and dynamic across as fact, there, Kat. I don't think it's clear cut, which is why it interests a lot of people.

Also, names? Uhhh.

Wildfire
Stormborn
[Name] of (the) Blackwater (Or any other place.)
Dark Sister (Hey, It's mentioned in a TywinArya scene!)
The [Name of God] (Kinda' makes me want my Username to be The Stranger. 8()
Kissed by Fire
Smoke and Salt
Needle
(The) Queen Beyond the Wall
Sweetling
Child of the Forest

Likely some will be taken, but Iuno. xD

teahupoo
May 30th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Darkwingsdarkwords

Fearcutsdeep

Sweetsummerchild

Catofthecanals

Theblindgirl

Wordsarewind

Muchandmore

kged
May 30th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Waterdancer.

KatG
May 30th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks, I'll pass those on, although I think she's looking for something a little comic.

You're kinda putting your thoughts on their (tv or book) relasionship and dynamic across as fact, there, Kat. I don't think it's clear cut, which is why it interests a lot of people.

No, I'm just giving my interpretation of the scene and how it seemed logical to me from 1) the dialogue in the scene; 2) what they've done in the show with these two characters in the last two seasons which has been rather different than the books; 3) the circumstances of the battle as portrayed in the show; and 4) their very deliberate and unsubtle use in dialogue and imagery of the theme of Sansa letting go of her childhood (dropping doll, etc.) Given all these factors, for me, it doesn't seem logical that Sansa would go with the Hound, so it didn't bother me. I can understand that it bothered you, but just because Martin decided to make the Hound less crazed in that scene, I don't think it makes him a savior in the show or that Sansa would see him that way.

So it's just my opinion, and because you sounded so disappointed about it, I'm probably being pushy about it in hopes of jollying you up about it. :) During the episode, I did laugh when they had the stuff with the Hound and Bronn, etc., thinking, now Luya and the other Hound fans will be happier.

AuntiePam
May 30th, 2012, 10:35 PM
At that point in the books, we really don't know much about the Hound, and neither does Sansa. She's somewhat fascinated by him, but kind of the way one would be with a raging bear.

It's a beauty and the beast scenario, which Martin knows very well how to do. He's made The Hound quite intriguing -- scarier in the book than in the show -- but still intriguing. I hate to say it, but the guy needs a hug.

algernoninc
May 31st, 2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks, I'll pass those on, although I think she's looking for something a little comic.

direwolfette
shaggypuppy
nymeria jr.

Luya Sevrein
May 31st, 2012, 05:04 AM
So it's just my opinion, and because you sounded so disappointed about it, I'm probably being pushy about it in hopes of jollying you up about it. :) During the episode, I did laugh when they had the stuff with the Hound and Bronn, etc., thinking, now Luya and the other Hound fans will be happier.

Oh I was. :D

"**** THE KINGSGUARD, **** THE CITY, **** THE KING!"

I can totally say that. It's a quote!

Palfrey
May 31st, 2012, 10:41 AM
I did like Arya until her assassin-training. I've read too many stories full of assassins and her skill-set, age, emotional instability, ability to magically keep surviving in such a realistic world pushes my suspension of belief slightly in a way I am not used too within Martin's universe.

Dany's ability to keep surviving pushes my suspension of disbelief. Not that I'm complaining!

But I also stopped liking Arya in the later books. She keeps failing to adopt the Faceless Man ethos - it surprises me that she hasn't been kicked out of the temple yet.

Luya Sevrein
May 31st, 2012, 11:06 AM
Dany's ability to keep surviving pushes my suspension of disbelief. Not that I'm complaining!

But I also stopped liking Arya in the later books. She keeps failing to adopt the Faceless Man ethos - it surprises me that she hasn't been kicked out of the temple yet.

Yes, that. xD; Dany, too. And Jon to some lesser degree now.

But, it's like two different universes slammed into one? The overly realistic 'I'm going to kill off all the characters I build up to teach you a lesson about war and real life,' irregardless of how the narrative is affected. Coupled with that generic fantasy 'these are the heroes, they're going to miraculously come out on top against the odds of realism.'

It makes me route for his obviously non-favourated characters. xD Because them actually making it would be the real triumph!