PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Game of Thrones Season Two [SPOILERS for EVERYTHING ASOIAF!!]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39

KatG
May 31st, 2012, 12:43 PM
Oh I was. :D

"**** THE KINGSGUARD, **** THE CITY, **** THE KING!"

I can totally say that. It's a quote!

LOL, okay then I'll allow it. Also what Tyrion says when he turns around and sees another wave of Stannis' army coming at them.

Dany's ability to keep surviving pushes my suspension of disbelief. Not that I'm complaining!

Dany stays alive because in various different ways, she's valuable to different people. And because she's had protectors.

But I also stopped liking Arya in the later books. She keeps failing to adopt the Faceless Man ethos - it surprises me that she hasn't been kicked out of the temple yet.

Wait, you want her to become a soulless, emotionless, magical assassin, which probably requires some really horrible rite to get that face changing ability? She hasn't been kicked out yet because she cheated and they think she's towing the line.

'I'm going to kill off all the characters I build up to teach you a lesson about war and real life,'

I don't think that's exactly why Martin kills off characters. I don't think he's very interested in teaching lessons. I think he just kills off who he needs to kill off for the plot. I mean, I knew right off that Commander Mormont was going to die as soon as I met him. The story clearly was going to require him to die. And I knew that Theon wasn't going to die, at least not for awhile. Not that I always know, but he does set up classic plots.

chris777
May 31st, 2012, 12:49 PM
I have a poor memory. But I keep watching the show and saying "ok, well, THAT didn't happen in the book". Like the whole scene around Arya escaping. I thought Theon's sister never came to Winterfell? They sure didn't sell the fact that the bodies were Bran and Rikon very well. Also, obviously, the subtleties about Renly being gay, and the Red Witch and Stannis relationship...they made it more blatant.

A lot of these don't really matter. But what are some major plot points you guys have noticed that the series so far has changed?

Werthead
May 31st, 2012, 07:44 PM
I have a poor memory. But I keep watching the show and saying "ok, well, THAT didn't happen in the book". Like the whole scene around Arya escaping. I thought Theon's sister never came to Winterfell? They sure didn't sell the fact that the bodies were Bran and Rikon very well. Also, obviously, the subtleties about Renly being gay, and the Red Witch and Stannis relationship...they made it more blatant.

Arya escapes in the books in a somewhat different manner, but she still escapes. Theon's sister did go to Winterfell though and the scene was rather similar, except that Book-Asha didn't have the moment about remembering him as a baby.

A lot of these don't really matter. But what are some major plot points you guys have noticed that the series so far has changed?

I'm not sure there's that many major plot points that have changed. The major beats are still there. Lots of minor elements have been removed or changed, or had their timing moved around, but overall it's the same story. For example, whether Robb has an affair with a local noble girl called Jeyne Westerling or a foreign woman called Talisa Maegyr is irrelevant, as long as it still pushes him to break his alliance with the Freys and causes everything that comes after that. If the change caused the Red Wedding not to happen at all, that would be a major problem.

The biggest changes so far have involved the scaling back of the backstory (no Arthur Dayne, no Tower of Joy, relatively little on Lyanna, Rhaegar and Elia etc) and the lessening of the focus on Jon's parentage. These are things that can be reintroduced later on, but it's still a shame to see so little focus on them. How they handle the House of the Undying stuff in the next episode will be key in seeing how important some of these elements will be.

Palfrey
June 1st, 2012, 12:58 PM
Wait, you want her to become a soulless, emotionless, magical assassin, which probably requires some really horrible rite to get that face changing ability?

Weren't you the one who said that the Faceless Men are a religion, and as such they have some ethics, however strange those are? Better that Arya "tow the line" than learn their skills without also following their rules.

Subject change: It seems that gold can be found even on Youtube. Take a look at the top comment for the season finale preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9OcWiA9vfU&list=UUQzdMyuz0Lf4zo4uGcEujFw&index=0&feature=plcp

KatG
June 1st, 2012, 05:16 PM
Weren't you the one who said that the Faceless Men are a religion, and as such they have some ethics, however strange those are? Better that Arya "tow the line" than learn their skills without also following their rules.

They are a religion and they have the ethics that they don't simply kill for hire -- they kill at the direction of the god as his vessels, which is why they have to be emotionless. But they still kill people. I have been rather amused at how cuddly they've made Jaquen in the t.v. series.

It looks like all the other storylines will be headed towards their appointed ends plus some Kings Landing stuff in the last episode. Thanks for finding the preview.

Luya Sevrein
June 2nd, 2012, 06:00 AM
Uhhhh. Ros. Eeeeeeeew.

And uh... I never liked the faceless men, myself. There's something paradoxical about forgetting completely who you are but needing to remember your religion, God, mission, abilities. xD

KatG
June 2nd, 2012, 02:39 PM
If you are just a tool of the god, it doesn't matter who you are at any given time. And this is why Arya would make a very bad Faceless Man. But who knows, maybe that's where her story goes.

saintjon
June 3rd, 2012, 10:47 PM
That was a hell of a finale, last scene was a complete thunderstrike of omfg, I do wonder why they are so determined not to show anything that feeds into R+L= J theory.

suciul
June 4th, 2012, 01:07 AM
That was a hell of a finale, last scene was a complete thunderstrike of omfg, I do wonder why they are so determined not to show anything that feeds into R+L= J theory.

I agree but I have to say that the Theon speech and its sequel was priceless too; not that it was a surprise the way they built it but still priceless...

Glelas
June 4th, 2012, 06:11 AM
I know lots of people are loving the final scene but give me the Theon speech and what immediately follows any day of the week. It was priceless.