PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Game of Thrones Season Two [SPOILERS for EVERYTHING ASOIAF!!]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39

TooNice
June 4th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Theon actually had me pumped. LOL that was so awesome. For a second, I actually sympathised for him. I wonder if we'll get any glimpses of him in the coming seasons. I think they might actually, considering the liberties they've taken with a lot of things this season. I'd love to see some scenes with Ramsay Bolton before Book 5 is told.

Spears&Buckler
June 4th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Theon's speech was great, but I especially loved the scene with him and Maester Luwin. The way he rolled his eyes at the hornblower and interrupted himself when he heard it. Great stuff. An amazing finale.

Glelas
June 4th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Theon's speech was great, but I especially loved the scene with him and Maester Luwin. The way he rolled his eyes at the hornblower and interrupted himself when he heard it. Great stuff. An amazing finale.

Yes, the horn blowing was great too. Overall a fantastic finale.

Not to thrilled with House of the Undying segment but it was still solid. Throne room covered in snow, Dany coming out of the gate/door at the Wall, and the Khal making a cameo were all great. Guess I wished for more prophecy/foreshadowing but that is not the show's problem, its mine.

Luya Sevrein
June 4th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Sansa;
Even I think she's an idiot now, because they have wrote her that way. I know some people disagree, but hey. She should have left. Her little smile was fun though.
Varys;
His actor... Wow. I love Varys. He did not look impressed.
Robb;
I liked Cat's speech - she is one-hundred per cent right about that. Obviously, a little of both is best, but... Bawww. But apart from that, it was fine. All downhill from here. D:
Why were they married in the Light of the Seven, anyway?
Ros;
Could have been replaced with so many other things.
Jaqen;
Meh.
Tyrion;
I almost believe Shae! God damnit. I can see everything falling apart for Tyrion a lot more clearly, so I think these scenes were very well done. Waking up to Pycelle, too, ouch. xD;

Brienne and Jaime;
My second favourite, or maybe favourite(?) scene. I was worried about these two, and Chase as Brienne, but I really enjoyed this. I love the guy playing Jaime - he's so smug. The way he thought she couldn't handle them, please.
Great death scene for that guy - shows more of Brienne's persona - she was obviously unhappy with him but held off, and he would have been safe if he'd learned to shut up.
Looking forward to their dynamic.

Theon;
I enjoyed the scene between him and the Maester. It seemed Lewin was actually trying to offer him a legit way out, though I agree that Jon would have likely done him in.
I always felt bad for him after the speech, once I stopped laughing of course. Poor guy can't catch a break.
Winterfell is burning;
This scene was probably my favourite, or one of my favourites of the episode. The last shot of the Castle a'smoke was something I'd been waiting to see for so long, it was very powerful.
Maester Lewin, too, his actor is amazing. I was so happy, and yet sad, to see him by the weirwood, mostly because they'd changed so much from the books it was a relief to see them finally STICKING TO SOMETHING. The scene was so very well done.
My only criticism is that I don't think it was obvious that it was the people from outside the Gates that burned it. People were asking me 'Why didn't the army outside stop them burning it?' Etc.

The Undying;
What the hell was that? Underwhealming, that's what. I can understand if they'd have put it in earlier, but... Making us wait, for that?
Also, if I can't get any Sandor/Sansa ACTUAL CANNON SCENES, can I stop getting fan service for other couplings and characters that don't exist? Ros. ;)
I do wish there had been Rhaegar stuff. It's going to be hella confusing to anyone who hasn't read the books when nothing happens. Also foreshadowing for next season might have been nice.
Two scenes I did love from this were the way the dragonfire crossed Dany, and when she looked up at the roof of the Keep. Very nice.
And After;
Empty! Was that in the books? I forget. Probably not as he returns, but that was very sneaky. Power resides where men believe it resides.
Why kill Doreah? You told this girl to sleep with men. She's a Lyseen whore, doing what she must. Is Dany that much of an idiot, or just cruel? Jesus.
I liked the way she returned to looting - and also how she did not touch the Throne. Just forget Westeros, be a warrior Queen, it's what made you.

Qhorin;
I'm not sure if the trickery came across to my non-reader friends, but If not, oh well, they'll get it later. It would have been nice to have seen Ghost, or some shared glimpse between them before Jon killed him, so it did not look as if he were just guilty and acted upon instinct. Or are they going for Jon not realizing what Qhorin wanted? I have no clue.
Sam;
The horn gave me chills!
Wow. That guy on the horse. He was super scary. That was some amazing CGI. The first few rows as well, amazingly choreographed.
I wonder why Sam was ignored?
At first, I thought it might be the Sam the Slayer scene; but there were far too many of them.

All in all a few questionable scenes, and a sad lack of visions, but apart from that a really enjoyable finale.

algernoninc
June 4th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Wow. That guy on the horse. He was super scary. That was some amazing CGI.

agreed. this scene, Jaqen change of visage and Brienne were the highlights in a finale that seems a bit lacking in epic scenes. I feel like the previous episode was the real high point of season two and this one just dealing with the aftermath.

Palfrey
June 4th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Well, some thoughts:

The Arya-Jaqen scene seemed anticlimactic, especially since the episode was named for it. I was expecting that Arya would get in some kind of trouble again and have to use her final death to get out, and then be given the coin. Are they saving that final death for later...?

Looks like they'll be skipping Sansa's wedding to Joffrey. I'm fine with that so long as the prick dies.

Varys & Ros - Interesting but I'm not sure I see the point. Varys already seems to have enough spies to know what Littlefinger is up to.

Theon - no surprise there really.

Somewhat disappointed with Dany's trip through the House of the Undying. It was okay, but just okay.

By the end, I was thinking they were going to cheap out on the white-walker scene too - Wrong! The Other was perfectly freaky, even his horse was perfect. Except, since the other two boys ran away, who's going to be around to see Sam the Slayer in action?

Looking at reviews, I've noticed that people who haven't read the books are already getting confused between the Others and the wights. They think the thing on the horse was just another zombie.

Evil Agent
June 4th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Well... I pretty much enjoyed the whole thing (loved Jaqen, loved Theon, loved the Others), but I was underwhelmed by Dany (HoTu) and Jon/Qhorin.

The House of the Undying wasn't all that bad (I didn't mind the lack of visions/prophecies), but I thought the 'dracarys' scene was pretty weak compared to the book. Pyat Pree just standing there alone, burning. Meh...

But the one that really bums me out is the Jon/Qhorin scene. I feel like this was one of the biggest fails of the season, so far. Qhorin has had almost zero screen time, and no development of his character or his relationship with Jon. As such, one of the most powerful and memorable scenes from the book fell flat for me. No emotional impact... :(

Anyways, I hope it will improve on a re-watch (it usually does).

Overall, I really liked Season 2. I thought it was better than Season 1 at times. But there were also some pacing problems (Ep. 7 and 8) and the fumbled a couple key scenes in the finale. Otherwise, another great season.

kged
June 4th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Why were they married in the Light of the Seven, anyway?
I'd take a guess that it's a combination of factors - firstly Robb was raised by a mother who prays to the Seven, not the Nameless Gods, so I suppose he's got a bit of both in him; and also, the simple logistics of them being in the midlands/south, so there was a Septon around to perform the ceremony.

I seem to be in the minority, but I was impressed by the House of the Undying. I found it eerie and otherworldly, as I'd have hoped, and the little dragons were excellent.

The Other scared the testicles off me.

Eventine
June 4th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Qhorin has had almost zero screen time, and no development of his character or his relationship with Jon. As such, one of the most powerful and memorable scenes from the book fell completely flat for me.

Replace those two names with any characters at all and you've provided a great summary of the series for me: Meh.
Further proof that adaptations do not work for me. This show fails to meet the standard of the books in so many ways, but characterisation is for mine the greatest.

Glelas
June 4th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Where's the Episode 3 thread? :D