PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Game of Thrones Season Two [SPOILERS for EVERYTHING ASOIAF!!]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Daddy Darth
April 12th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Well for my money season two is off to a great frikkin start. Each episode has ended with me literally begging for more, crying "no" to my tv. It all has such a big feel to it with amazing scenery and great acting, the great story hould go without saying but it's rockin. In brief I am loving it and don't find myself nit picking. People, we have here one pretty amazing piece of television to enjoy.

Can't wait to see Brienne and have fingers crossed the Hound's character fills out a bit more and I think it will.

Love, love, love it.

KatG
April 12th, 2012, 02:12 PM
But now I kind of understand. I mean, Sandor is a huge fan favourite, and we know nothing about him yet.

If you're paying attention in season 1, we've learned quite a bit about him. But people don't pay attention, lol. They inserted a couple of bits in Season 1 so that his back story could come out, both in his talking and Littlefinger telling Sansa about him, foreshadowing the roles that both men will have in her life. He had the scene with his brother and is involved in a number of other scenes. They've also shown several times, mostly through facial expressions but also some speech, that the Hound is into Sansa. Most recently was during the name day scene in this season's first episode when Joffrey is ragging on Sansa and Sansa then saves a life. I think he's also already called her little bird once, but I could be wrong on that. And he has expressed his feelings on knights, back in Season 1. I'm also pretty sure that they aren't going to cut the Hound and Sansa's big scene for this season.

I think there's certain things that don't come across to those who haven't read the books - like, watching it with my friend, she didn't realize Cersei had other children until Ned mentioned it to her in the courtyard.

Well there again, it's a lack of attention. There is a whole scene in Season 1, very early on, where Tyrion has breakfast with his siblings at Winterfell and the two younger children. He calls them by name, he jokes with them about themselves, they call him uncle, and it's very clear who they are. And again, he does this more briefly when he arrives at Kings Landing in Season 2.

I agree that the intro to Melissandre was ham-fisted a bit. I was too happy squealing over Davos to care much though. :)

Loerwyn
April 12th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Or maybe we paid attention but it's been a year since it was on so we forgot things, especially more nuanced/mentioned-off-the-cuff aspects.

Evil Agent
April 12th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I agree that the Hound hasn't had nearly enough screen time... but we did learn about him in Season 1, including the story of how he got his burn scars.

Fortunately, one of the writers has assured us that there IS more Hound content coming our way this season...

Luya Sevrein
April 12th, 2012, 06:48 PM
As a writer, I'm told that if my reader's aren't paying attention it's my fault. As an actress, I was told the same. It's too risky to pretend that everyone is a scatterbrain. I'm sure some people are, but many aren't. ...To be fair, my friend is a bit, Hehe. I'm sure if I hadn't read the books I'd be lost sometimes. But, you get what I mean. Just like I told you that I didn't notice it so much because I was picking up on every little detail and screaming like a thirteen-year-old fangirl.

But if you read the books, he has already had many scenes with Sansa by the end of Thrones, in which he explains the story himself, in confidence and with a little threat, to her. He also shows his feelings towards Knights in general, which makes his appointment as head of the Kingsguard and the leaving behind of his cloak more poinient. (Uh, can not spell that word. xD) He's already said Little Bird, and he has some good scenes when they are with Trent regarding Joffrey's behavoir. From series alone I could not tell you this man has EVER even touched a drink, for example. Because he just stands, stoic, lazily amused, and carries out his orders. Though I have loved the brief hints of kindness towards Sansa all the same.

I do think we're going to get more though. I'm looking forward to Episodes 3 and 4 A LOT, A LOT, A LOT.

Random side-note; I find it hallerious that now even my friends who haven't read the book think Bran is boring and wish his scenes would go away. 8D Mwhahaha.

I love Ousha, though. Lewin, too, great.

KatG
April 14th, 2012, 09:37 PM
As a writer, I'm told that if my reader's aren't paying attention it's my fault.

Readers process text. Not all of them necessarily process every sentence you write. They don't necessarily pay attention to details that are important because those details don't particularly interest them. I've run into plenty of Martin readers who are surprised to hear that certain details are in the books. And readers also forget details. I forgot that Jon Arryn was actually killed by his wife because it had been years since I read the book that was in. My husband completely forgot that Tyrion participated in a gang rape for revenge on his wife, etc. That's why Wert's summaries of the books were so very useful.

As an actress, I was told the same.

If you're on stage, that would make a bit more sense. In film/t.v., it's really the director who's in charge of that. This t.v. series is very hard for people because it's not what they're used to. What other series do you know that has an enormous backstory of a long winter, the sister of one character being kidnapped by the crown prince, then dies, the rebellion, the murders, the entire history of the dragon riders, the great war thousands of years ago and the history of the Wall, etc., etc. Usually, any mythos gets laid out for viewers in a t.v. series, but on this show, there's no time for that, so you get quick encapsulated histories in one person's speech. Even if the actor nails it, people don't necessarily remember all the information. Tyrion slapping Joffrey, sure. But who fought which battle during the rebellion that put Robert on the throne and subsequent rebellions? That kind of goes out the window. And if you don't catch a character's name when they say it, you may be wondering who it is for awhile. It took me about fifteen minutes after he'd spoken to realize Dolorous Edd, one of my favorite characters, was Dolorous Edd. That's why the sexposition scenes are an interesting gambit. They hook people's attention with the sex scene and get a chunk of information in that way. But it's nothing to do with being a scatterbrain -- they just have a lot of info and a lot of audio and visual imagery going on.

But if you read the books, he has already had many scenes with Sansa by the end of Thrones, in which he explains the story himself, in confidence and with a little threat, to her.

That's because she's one of the pov characters in the books. In the t.v. series, she's only going to get her big moments -- the memorable ones and Sansa does not have as many action or big speech scenes as other characters. She will, though, have quite a bit of screentime I'd think in the last part of this season. Likewise, the Hound's character is established in the series, but he's a minor character who only gets front and center for his key scenes. They don't have to show him drinking all the time, just drunk in the scenes where it's a plot point. They did spend the time on him in Season 1, though, because he's got bigger roles in the next three seasons.

I myself am resigned to Davos having limited screentime, except for perhaps the latter half of this season. But it is a frustration, that despite the scope of the series, it is a choice of how much and who less than the books. Which is why I had some issues with Episode 2. I have been impressed, though, at how the series has including many really minor characters they could have skipped, working them into scenes, giving them a line or two. Overall, they are still being very faithful to the books.

And that is my preference. I don't want them to be completely limited by it. I don't mind Roz, et. al., but Martin's plots and much of his dialogue kind of write themselves. Sticking to it has gotten them a lot of the positive attention for this show, I think.

Luya Sevrein
April 15th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Wait... Lysa killed Jon? Holy hell, that totally didn't register. A bit like when I got confused over the Others and the White Walkers, the zombie-dead and the... Scarier things. I guess you are right there.

But in the end, it doesn't matter why people aren't able to follow, if they aren't able to follow you've got a problem. It seems some people are getting minor details confused, but the majority know what's going on, if vaguely. I still get many, many questions though. Especailly about the Stannis arc.

I also don't mind the scenes. But I would have prefered that some scenes, such as Theon and Roz's mini-love story were replaced with getting to know minor-but-inportant characters, for ONE example, Sandor. We get to see how much of a scrote Theon is later, anyway, like in the Captain's cabin. I didn't really know he was that bad till Book 2 anyway, just a smirking jackass.

KatG
April 15th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Well Theon isn't really that bad. He's messed up and he's a glory hound, who then goes through remarkable things, which is why they're taking some time with him. One of Martin's big themes is how children are shaped by the actions of their parents/relatives. The Lannisters under Tywin and Joffrey, Robert ignoring his children and scattering base-born kids, the Starks and Jon's experience as the base-born, unwanted Stark, Danys under the thumb of her brother, the Iron-born and Theon being from that culture but then raised in the Stark household as the unwanted prisoner/ward, the children of Dorne, etc. It's a generational thing. Sandor's relationship with his family and his brother -- who nearly kills him and destroyed his face -- also comes into play there and they spent time with that in the show. Whereas Micah, a favorite minor character of mine and an influence on Arya, got three seconds of screentime and dies. As the cast gets bigger, it's going to get harder. The Hound is a minor character. Theon is a major character. So it's going to be limited. And as we've found, we all won't always like the choices the show makes. I do think the Hound is going to get to do some romping, though.

Luya Sevrein
April 15th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Wether Theon is 'that bad' or not is subjective. He goes through some horrible things and I'm sure he is shaped, but I doubt the relatives or friends of the people at Winterfell he killed will care, nor those two orphan boys he killed, nor many Iron Born who feel he is too weak to see them to safety or power.

And like so many of George's characters, he is one amazing cookie, with a diverse range of things happening to him. But so is... everyone else. So is Jeyne, and she had one unspoken scene sat beside Sansa.

I also was wondering - and this isn't a dig, though it may sound like one, I don't mean it too. Have they got a full Season 2 cast? I've just realized how much happens in Clash of Kings - are they planning to do the whole book in one Season? I assume so, since Episode 9 is called Blackwater. Then, do they not have an Olenna Tyrell? Lord Tully? Blackfish? Thoros of Myr I know they do not have.

KatG
April 15th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I don't know. The Tullys they sort of dumped in Season 1 -- couldn't fit them in since they couldn't afford the battle scene. So I don't know what they'll do there. Would be a shame to lose the Blackfish entirely.

However, Episode 3: I'm happy with them again. :)