PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Game of Thrones Season Two [SPOILERS for EVERYTHING ASOIAF!!]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

saintjon
April 15th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Holy hot damn that was an episode and a half.

Evil Agent
April 15th, 2012, 11:10 PM
All the Tullys have been pushed back, probably until next season. Same with the Reed children.

ramakandra
April 16th, 2012, 03:08 AM
...I'm so glad the quality of the first season hasn't diminished...

Doggles
April 16th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Holy hot damn that was an episode and a half.

Totally agree...

Had a smile on my face the whole way through...best episode of this season by a mile!!

Luya Sevrein
April 16th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I'm actually really sad for Renly now, because he seems much more amazing this season, and Loras much more annoying. xD He seems as if he'd actually make a good King, during peace time at least. I can fall for the whole 'those who would make good rulers for the people are never the ones who'd win the Crown,' story now. It's a shame Godmodding-bitch-of-hell Mellissandre has to exist and dump all over him. 8(

Brienne! Yey! And Margaery - is she older than I remember? It's nice to see more of her though, I'd always like to get to know more of Margaery, she does seem like the type to not mind you seeing to her brother 'in the process'.

The whole Pycelle scene was just how I imagined it. Awesome. Tyrion is amazing, the Sansa scenes were upsetting, Shae is annoying, everything is wonderful. I think If I didn't know what Shae does, I'd find her funny, too.

The ending scene was a little down for me. Yoren was and is amazing, though I would have liked more of a fight - someone for Arya to slice up, at least. Other than that, it was amazing.

Oh, and we got a nice little talk between Jon and the Commander - best acting I've seen yet for them too.

Theon's scenes also were quite good. I see what you mean about them really making a big deal out of him and his betrayl. Asha still doesn't 'look' right for me, but she's acting all right. I liked 'The Sea Bitch,' line, delivered wonderfully. 8D

DailyRich
April 16th, 2012, 02:25 PM
That shot of Theon burning the letter to Robb surrounded by darkness was such a great piece of composition. It really drove home how alone Theon is now, and how that act pretty much seals it. He may be choosing family, but even that's not really a home for him. He's completely isolated.

Loerwyn
April 16th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Yara seems coolish. Would like to see how she turns out, but I've been warned I might not actually like her.

Brienne is better than I could have hoped for, but I was a bit worried for the lady with the cold boobs (who then gets them out later - there's a surprise). The scene with Catelyn and the knighty bloke was good, too. She beat him down without even looking at him. I can see her and Brienne being awesome, if they stuck together

Can imagine that scene between... uh... that king bloke and his warrior causing a few issues again, because it was quite loud.

Uh... Theon I think developed a bit more this time, but still not a fan of him. Same with Sansa. Not really a fan of her but we're starting to see

Sam I think is cool, and I enjoyed that scene between the Watch Commander and Jon near the start. It's interesting that the Commander stopped being angry once he found out what Jon saw, so maybe he sees some of himself in Jon (or some of Jon in himself).

Tyrion is awesome, and I think it's cool how they cut the scenes with him playing his game, even with Cersei. He's easily the strongest actor/character in this. It's also interesting to see that he does have its own form of honour, one that... almost seems more honourable than that of LYORD YEDDARD STYARK, considering how brutal the world is.

That scene with Arya and the beardy bloke... I think moments like that are where GoT is strongest, plus they have some of the best lines. "Oi! There's men out there want to **** your corpses!", "I always 'ated crossbows... take too long to load!" and so on.

Pretty good episode with a few moments that don't mean much to me. In a way I think the scope of ASoIaF is too big for a TV show.

Edit: If you saw my original edit message, ignore it. Pleases.

Palfrey
April 16th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Yara just doesn't look the part, although her acting is alright.

I liked this episode much better than episode two, despite the lack of Dany. The scene with the attack on Yoren's caravan didn't seem quite action-y enough, but otherwise it was a great episode. Especially since there was no "Meanwhile Back At Littlefinger's Brothel" scene for once. I thought Brienne was spot on. We see evidence of Margery's true character much sooner than we did in the books, but that isn't a bad thing.

Best line of the night: "Everyone who's tasted my cooking tells me what a good whore I am."

Is anybody watching OtakuAssemble's reviews? I don't like how he doesn't want corrections when he gets something wrong, particularly since in episode two he got something wrong that was actually in the show. It's also interesting how he keeps dismissing the importance of Jaqen & Co. - He watches enough media to know that writers don't throw in things like that for no reason. (Sex is the only thing that doesn't need a purpose in a story, lol).

Luya Sevrein
April 16th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I don't know many people who haven't read the books who like Sansa, which is a shame because she's one of my favourite characters, but if they don't give her someone to play off and voice her internal emotions then she's going to come off as a spoilt brat who's dragged from King's Landing to the Vale and goes along with everything. If you don't want Sansa and the Hound to happen due to casting, fine, but she at least didn't think he was a spy or out to get her by the end, which meant we saw more of who she was in expressing it to him. They are in so much danger here, though I am very biassed because I want more Sandor. Like, I see the Shae thing as her just being paranoid because no doubt any new maid is going to be a spy. Also, Shae is no more of a whiner than Sansa, so I don't get why she is loved for it.

Palfrey - Thanks for reminding me. I watched his reviews last season. I don't mind when he get's something wrong, because afterwards he's always really shocked. xD

I am worried about how cutting minor characters is going to work out for them in the end. They seem to want to make this the Stark show, but it's... not really. It's a little bit about everyone, and I know that can't happen to the same extent on screen, but eh... I want more Dondarrion rumours anyway!

kged
April 16th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I find I'm having the same trouble as I did last season. Every episode seems to last about 20 minutes, and as soon as it's finished I want to watch the next one. And then the next, and then the next...

Superlative episode. Exceptionally strong. And now for the gripes:

The ep's title, and the whole scene on the beach (was that Damphair? Little was made of it if it was) seemed a bit nonsensical. I was expecting the full-on drown-and-revive routine, at which point "What Is Dead May Never Die" would make sense to non-readers. The scene as shown lacked power for me, possibly because I expected something more visceral. Also, pedantry requires me to register my objection to the apparent change in the Greyjoys' heraldry, not a change for the better either.

And Brienne is nothing like plain enough, but I saw that coming a mile away. Even before they cast Gwendoline, I knew they'd bottle out of that one. They could have uglied her up a bit in make-up. I am disappoint. And why is she not wearing blue armour?

On the positive side, Patrick Malahide continues to be brilliantly grim as Balon. He really sells that merciless Ironborn bit. And I thought Natalie Dormer was quite fascinating as Margaery.

Lastly I must disagree with Palfrey. The line of the week was clearly Tyrion's "Well, make do!" which genuinely made me laugh out loud.