SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Forrest
September 5th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Hey folks,

So I was bored last night, and I had been looking at some cool Warcraft 3 screenshots. It got me thinking about how cool orcs were and how much I enjoyed the warcraft world.

Well, none of my video games have been installed since I reformatted a month ago (I've been too busy for them), and I didn't feel like digging out warcraft 2, installing it, playing it for five minutes, then going to sleep.

So instead I started writing about Graalthorne the Orc, whom I invented on the spot. I like Graalthorne alot. He's ambitious, greedy, petty, and lustful. At the same time however, he really just loves a good adventure and a stiff fight. He's kind of a pirate at heart, you know? He's not evil, be he ain't pretty.

Anyway, if you are bored, or you like orcs, feel free to read what I wrote last night. As the fascination with orcs overtakes me from time to time, I will probably add more and more to the story, just for fun. I'm kind of getting to like Graalthorne.:)

The Many Adventures of Graalthorne the Orc (http://warp.phpwebhosting.com/~forrestkyle/misc/orc2.htm)

enazwo
September 6th, 2002, 01:24 AM
Do you like Orcs?

Yes with with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Holbrook
September 6th, 2002, 02:31 AM
Orcs, like elves, Dwarves and dragons tend to be the "stock in Characters" of fantasy....

Don't used them much myself save under pressure :D Once wrote a story about a boggart, a writer and a rather strange house, with an even stranger housekeeper. Who all had a rather strange adventure at a SF and F Convention.

The writer's name was Holbrook Adams:eek:

Seriously Forrest, I am about this morning so I will try and read your piece sometime to day and let you know what I think, for what it is worth.

Forrest
September 6th, 2002, 02:56 AM
hehe yes orcs have been done in every way possible. I wasn't really trying to be original with the world/species. I just felt randomly interested in orcs.:)

James Barclay
September 6th, 2002, 04:32 AM
And why not?

Any potential new take on a stock race is good and worth exploring.

Have you read Grunts by Mary Gentle? That champions Orcs (if champion is the right word) and is excellent entertainment.

kahnovitch
September 6th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Orcs are great, without them LOTR couldn’t have been written.
Every genre generally has an evil, malevolent race of violent, warmongering maniacs, but they (orcs) may have been typecast a little and perhaps unfairly represented.
Anyone know of a film/book where orcs break the usual mode?

apart from Shrek...

Ian W.
September 6th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Every genre generally has an evil, malevolent race of violent, warmongering maniacs,

Yep and I have two relatated species of them in my books.

Velicions and Dionions.

Imagine what the raptors would be like if they had continued to evolve into sentient beings?

You don't invite these guys to visit Aunty Macie!

kahnovitch
September 6th, 2002, 05:37 AM
I think they did.... and we call them "Humans" now.

;)

Ian W.
September 6th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Humans didn't evolve!

We were made. Honest. I have proof!

kahnovitch
September 6th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Hmmm......
Is this relating to Zecharia Sitchin and the Annunaki?