SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

someguy
September 6th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Hello Writers:

I was wondering. When did you all begin to write? More precisely, when did the desire to write manifest itself? Did you enjoy writing stories when you were younger, and just kept going from there? Or did it start later in life?

For the record, I am NOT a writer. I have more of a logicl/analytical type. But I am curious as to the development of a writer. Also, do you think it is something that can be picked up later on?

Someguy

choppy
September 6th, 2002, 05:31 PM
I've always enjoyed writing - even back to the second grade when our journalling exercises consisted of printing an entire sentence:eek:

I suppose I started to really get into it when I was about 13 or so. By that time I could actually string together something that looked like a story. Nothing I wrote was all that good, but like everything else in life, with practice I got better.

I don't really think one can just decide to be a writer, although I'm willing to stand corrected on that. I think it's just something that one does if one has something to say. Just like some people are drawn to building bridges, while others express themselves physically through sports, there are some of us who are drawn to creating and reflecting ideas about the world we live in and speculating about how things might be.

Aik Haw
September 6th, 2002, 10:07 PM
I enjoyed writing since I was a kid, though I was severely discouraged from fiction writing by my teachers and parents. This lead me down the path of factual writing for many years.

I only started writing fiction 6 years ago after I left home. I oscillate between descriptive( real life story taken slightly out of context ) writing, or SF&F writing.

someguy, I believe that writing cannot be forced. It must be something you innately want to do. Writers are storytellers who convey our imagination via words, just as flash writers do so by sight, and musicians by song. If you have no story, there is nothing to tell.

And trust me, forcing people who never even fantasise or dream normally to write a story is like forcing a wombat to sing. A near impossible task!! Even factual writing requires imagination!!

milamber_reborn
September 7th, 2002, 12:31 AM
Three years ago I made a half-hearted attempt. Start of last year, age 18, was when I started my fantasy novel. I wrote every day for a year, passionately. I had only started reading fantasy a few years prior, not being much of a reader throughout my childhood.

Holbrook
September 7th, 2002, 02:50 AM
I suppose the thought was always there in the back of my mind, but well, just plain living got in the way...

But about six /seven years ago the thought began to grow afresh and I started to write in my spare time.

Only the last two years have I thought the work was good enough to send off to publishers. Only now are they beginning to nibble (obviously got fed up of my letters and submissions.:D )

Books and reading have always played a large part in my life and that of the family, we all read a huge amount...... I think only the bathroom doesn't have an overflowing bookself!!!:eek:

Gagged Man
September 7th, 2002, 02:53 AM
Well, I just got into it recently because for this English unit I'm doing at school (Short Stories) we were told that we'd have to write and submit a few stories for marking.
After that, I found that I enjoyed writing and...well, it all kinda follows from that.

Bardos
September 7th, 2002, 03:02 AM
I imagined strories since I was a kid. I saw a movies on TV, then I imagined how could have been diffrently. Sometimes, I daydreamed stories. Thought I was a day-dreamer, thought everyone does that...

When I was 4-5 years, I told my mother a story about a ship and she wrote it down. Wooooo!... :D Later, I wrote comic books based on TV series I liked. The images sucked the writing sucked, but I did it! ;)

As choppy, I got (almost) serious about it at the age of 12-13, when I started writing big enough stories, about 35.000 words each. Though, I had NO IDEA about characterization and plot at the time!! And at 15-16 I was writing as a madman... but as stories they weren't really worthwhile. BUT the important thing is that a had fun writing them, and became a better writer doing so! So, when I started writing reall stories at the age of 20, I wouldn't worry about grammar, sentece structure, etc; only about characters and plot.

I'v writen close to 30 books (120 to 1000 pages, depending the story) so far, but 20 of them sook. :)

Edit: Ahhh! I forgot. I don't think someone can become a writer, if it is not in his/her heart to be, like going to school and becoming a lawyer. It's a totaly different thing.
Having said that, though, I've heard writers saying "I wouldn't write if I didn't sell my books."
How can they STAND not writing?!?! :confused:

enazwo
September 7th, 2002, 03:04 AM
Gagged Man

If you enjoy it,
Then give chase

Aye tis a grand adventure

kegasaurus
September 7th, 2002, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by someguy
Hello Writers:

For the record, I am NOT a writer. I have more of a logicl/analytical type. But I am curious as to the development of a writer. Also, do you think it is something that can be picked up later on?

Someguy

I was very profficient at the sciences and mathmatics during my schooling, to the extent thta I also thought I had no talent whatsoever in the creative area. (Can't draw worth a lick). When I honestly started putting my mind to write, I found that being both logical and analytical will serve you more as a writer than having all the creative juices in the world. It's through these two sources htat story building is derived and as is shown through the multitude of books out there, an original idea isn't a prerequisite to put the words on paper. There is a huge difference between an artistic writer and most of the fantasy/sci-fi writers out there.

SirRob
September 7th, 2002, 01:55 PM
I started imagining different worlds when I was pretty young, at about six or seven when I thought of this country called Peacha (god that names crap). It all stemmed from my weird obsession with countries, figures, and history. I got interested in history Very early, well my dad got me interested by buying these two big books. All I was really interested in was the battles.

I was very inventive when I was little and very weird (I still am, well it was only a few years ago) and I did well at school so i was able to write pretty early

I dont write all that much really , very rarely and its usually utter cr@p when I do. I can never think of anything decent. Well I've still got lots of time...