PDA

View Full Version : If you could build your own RPG...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Gagged Man
September 10th, 2002, 01:21 AM
If you could build your own RPG, what would it be like? Would it be happy, would it be sad?:D

Seriously though, if you could, what would you imbue in it?
eg. Settings, characters etc.

I'll give you mine:
Nice city in the future, pretty bright in the daytime, a tourist mecca and a wholesome place, but at night all the hustlers and "undesireable" of society come out to play. You, of course, are one of these hustlers trying to make a quick buck on the lonley streets before the sun rises and your existence once again becomes denied.
In the search for your big score you end up...dying.
That's it, shine, fade, recede and don't reiterate.
Fin.

Share with me (I won't steal, I can't even program),
Gagged Man

Eventine
September 10th, 2002, 02:15 AM
I'd really like to see an RPG/strategy based on David Farlands Runelords books.
While the books are OK, I think they could be the inspiration for an excellent game.

The basic premise of the books is that through magic, a person can endow strength, stamina, speed, sight, etc to another person.
While they have done this, they lose that attribute (so a person giving strength is as weak as a baby).

This continues until one person or the other dies.
This means that while you could give a warrior 8 endowments of strength, you must then protect the 8 people who gave up their strength and can no longer defend themselves.

Thi brings all sorts of interesting resource management / fighting / assasination / etc scenarios into being, and I think if done well would be very interesting.

SirRob
September 11th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Come to think of it that would be pretty cool.

saintjon
September 11th, 2002, 02:45 PM
A soaring epic, characters who never fight, unpredictable deaths.

I think a lot of important things are being left out in RPG's these days, which is something I want to fix. Character specific abilities and little to no choice of which characters are in your party. Grossly imbalanced levels at times. Gyyyaaaargh!! I can't stop.
Amazing music and character designs drawn up by my buddy Kawee (to see a sample of K's work go to www.geocities.com/u3911468)

Gagged Man
September 11th, 2002, 10:57 PM
You buddy's a talented person saintjon. Yeah, a lot of things are being left out these days, but I think that setting is the most important.
Most of it is fantasy or future, nothing wrong with them, but I think it has to be innovative. Arcanum was a breath of fresh air but it's only one thing.
We could have a game set in the modern day, but I suppose it could be called too close to real life.
Ahh, innovtive settings, parties which have no change...someting different.

Hope Springs Eternal,
Gagged Man

kahnovitch
September 12th, 2002, 04:54 AM
I'd love to see another game in the style of Severance-Blade of Darkness, but unfortunately no-one seems to have ever heard of it and it re-writes the RPG mould.

saintjon
September 13th, 2002, 10:55 AM
I know how you feel kahnovitch, I've been harping about Suikoden 2 for several years now and few people have heard of it, let alone played it. At first the idea of over a hundred playable characters seemed a bit much, but the way they designed the level up system it's beauty because you can make several themed parties (there's so many characters there's gotta be at least a few you like) and rotate them from quest to quest.

not that there'd be more than a dozen playable characters in mine, or would there?

kahnovitch
September 13th, 2002, 11:04 AM
St John, seeing your face reminded me of another game that I don't think ever made the crossover from Playstation to PC.
It was called "Tenchu- Stealth Assassins" and was similar to Blade of Darkness with the added concept of silent killing. i.e if you snuck up on an unwary opponent you could kill them with a single blow.
It wasn't an RPG in the stricktest sense, but I liked it lots and the only thing I've seen close to it was the "Hitman" games, which were a far more contemporary version of the silent killer theme with an arsenal of modern weaponry.
There's something darkly gratifying about silent killing in games rather than running in with all guns blazing or swinging your sword like a crazy man....
"Bring on the assassins", they are an unfairly represented minority! :D

saintjon
September 13th, 2002, 11:04 AM
I just had a thought that if someone could build a setting which is constant throughout the story, but developed and interesting enough that it wouldn't bother you, that would be damn cool (I'm thinking Frank Herbert's Dune as an example, but not necessarily a desert for the setting)

Imagine a whole RPG which takes place in a towering mountain range, peopled by several distinct cultures and races. Or a grassland region, like the Lion King

Giroth
September 14th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Actually, me and Elentian are making RPGs at the moment.