PDA

View Full Version : Vague recommendation from a friend

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

montgoss
June 27th, 2012, 03:31 PM
My friend told me about this book he really liked. He thought it might've been written by Orson Scott Card. I didn't see any of Card's books that really seemed to match though...

Here's the partial plot description I was given:
The book is set way in the future, but humanity has de-evolved or just lost all of their knowledge somehow. This guy starts developing super-powers. One of the biggest powers being the ability to teleport just by visualizing his destination (there were probably other powers that my friend forgot). This guy manages to transport himself up to a ring that is apparently surrounding the Earth and realizes that he doesn't have super-powers at all. It's just that every human has nanobots inside them that allow them to control this long-forgotten technology using just their minds.

It sounded like that might be only one plot line of a larger story. Does that description ring any bells?

Thanks!

tedstriker
June 28th, 2012, 05:40 AM
That's Dan Simmons' Ilium/Olympos duology. It's pretty good, but since I read it after his (arguably better) Hyperion/Endymion and The Hollow Man stories I found some of his ideas repetitive.