PDA

View Full Version : Share that mis-typing angst...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

James Barclay
September 12th, 2002, 06:58 PM
...or indulge in a little light relief, whichever way you want to see it.

Are there words that you mis-type EVERY time you type them? And do you wonder if it's just you?

To start this valuable support service for serial mis-typists going, here's a couple for you...

hte, instead of 'the'
(Dear Lord it's such a common word as well and leaves me wanting to gnaw through metal as even when I've spotted I've done it, there's no guarantee I won't go right ahead and repeat the error in the same spot).

'form' instead of 'from'
(But curiously not the other way round. Irritation level is high as both words are correct spellings.

Anyone rlse who has speeling mistaks they'd lik to share, plese add to hte tread.

I send to you a virtual group hug. You are not alone.

Hobbit
September 12th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Tolkien, Tolkien, Tolkien.....I've written it enough times, but still have to think about it.... :rolleyes:

kahnovitch
September 13th, 2002, 01:14 AM
The ones that bug me the most are those "ie" "ei" mothers.
"recieve" "piece" and words like "occasion" when you're not sure if it's two C's or two S's.
But "manoeuvre" and "lieutenant" .... I HATE those words. Three bloody vowels in a row, what a nightmare!

:mad:

milamber_reborn
September 13th, 2002, 01:30 AM
At least Word has autocorrect for certain words like "the" and "separated". I always want to write "seperated" instead.

Holbrook
September 13th, 2002, 01:49 AM
Who can become how or ohw or hwo,

Miss the "m" off form, from..... it and if as and at a an I, do and does. Most of mine come from what was called in my day "word Blindness" what is today called mild Dyslexia. I can look at a word for ages convinced it is spelt wrong and it is right and visa versa..... Some words I have spelt wrong for years and still not convinced the "correct" spelling is right.....

I am not that bad as it makes things impossible, but it does make writing harder...

On a similar note how do you read a page... do you go down line by line or "look" at the whole page....

Me, I look at the whole page I find it almost impossible to read line by line. This drove my teachers mad.... This also annoys the other half, as they are convinced I haven't read it as I seem to read so fast.....

This though helps on the other froum when I have to "read" huge threads looking for Trolls, which by the way we have a nastry one at the moment with multi accounts....

Though he is writing 2000 word arguments not "This place sux!!"

:(

kahnovitch
September 13th, 2002, 01:57 AM
I think a lot of the time (especially when typing) it's not that you can't spell the words, we can all spell "the" and "from" etc, it's just that when you're on the keyboard, your hands are constantly trying to keep up with your brian (thought I'd leave that one in) and failing miserably, particularly when your writing is flowing and you want to get it all down asap.

Forrest
September 13th, 2002, 02:19 AM
I alwas capitalize the first TWo letters of a WOrd at the BEginning of a SEntence. It drives me nuts.

And not for my life can I type caldenar (calendar) correctly on the first try. Perhaps I should write a book about a guy named calendar (caldenar) lol

kahnovitch
September 13th, 2002, 02:22 AM
Actually "Caldenar" sounds like a good name for a character in a fantasy story. Makes you wonder how some writers think up their names.

LeMort
September 13th, 2002, 04:56 AM
"Grammar Nazi ready for duty, Sir!"

Ok, the following things are not typos, but whenever I see them I get a little twinge of annoyance, especially when they're committed by people who claim they want to be writers!

Loose/ looser - When a person means to say lose or loser.

Comming - When a person means to say coming.

It's/its - When people get them mixed up.

You're/Your - Same as above. :)

LAJ
September 13th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Remember: Piece of pie.

I often write 'My' instead of 'Mr', so if I were to say "Mr Stevens said" I'd write "My Stevens said" which can be classed as something else by some folk in this realm :D