PDA

View Full Version : Don't ever do this ;)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Traveler
September 12th, 2002, 08:07 PM
It's kinda funny to me really. Check out this link.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0345448928/ref=lib_rd_ss_TFCV/002-8896150-0555227?v=glance&s=books&vi=reader&img=1#reader-link

If you ever get published, try as hard as you can to NOT let them do this to your cover. :)

someguy
September 12th, 2002, 09:45 PM
ummm...do what exactly? Blow up the image?

Traveler
September 12th, 2002, 09:47 PM
No, commit the cardinal sin of writing of putting "Epic Fantasy of the Year," on the cover, opening it up to all kinds of hate reviews. :)

estranghero
September 13th, 2002, 01:24 AM
AHHHHH!!!! MY EYES!!!! :eek:

Seriously, I already have my doubts about how publishers' market to begin with so anything they say in the first place... well, cum grano salis. :D

choppy
September 13th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Allow me to offer some rambling thoughts on a subject I know very little about.

I don't see how placing "Epic Fantasy of the Year" on the cover of a book does much harm. Okay, it gives critics something to poke at when writing reviews - so what? Unfortunately that's one of the "cold pricklies" of putting one's work out on the market for review.

Considering it's not a quote, it does strike me as a tad arrogant - but in the market these days, this is the kind of thing I'm used to as a consumer. If the author was trying to remain humble, I'm not sure a tag line like "a generally okay fantasy story that's not too great, but might be worth the read if you have a long flight to take and your only other option is watching the latest Julia Roberts romanic comedy" will work too well.

When you're standing front of the mountain of books at Chapters a line like that might just be what catches your eyes makes you pick up the book and read the inside cover. And if you're the author and that translates into more readers buying your stories - who really cares what the critics are poking fun at?

Traveler
September 13th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Fair point Choppy. :) I am inclined to think that a great story will great read and recieve appropriate praise, indirectly bringing it more readers with credible accolades.

If a reader sees "Best of the Year," on the cover and they buy it, they expect to be entertained to a fairly high extent. If they are disappointed, thay are liable never to buy that author again. It's a double-edged sword. You have to be looking for immediate profit, or a possible career failure.

Well, that's just my opinion. :)

estranghero
September 14th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by choppy
If the author was trying to remain humble, I'm not sure a tag line like "a generally okay fantasy story that's not too great, but might be worth the read if you have a long flight to take and your only other option is watching the latest Julia Roberts romanic comedy" will work too well.

Aside from the fact that it's way damn too long to put on the cover page. :D

Fyre
September 14th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Next time you go to the library or book store flip through all of the fantasy section. You will notice one in every five books will say something very similar to "The Epic Fantasy of the Year" somewhere. Let's face it, we all can't be "The Epic Fantasy of the Year" so I think we should allow the reviews to state their opinions and not the publisher.

By the way, despite the bad tag line I think this book looks really interesting. Has anyone read it? If so what did you think? Is it "The Epic Fantasy of the Year" in you opinion?

SirRob
September 14th, 2002, 02:58 PM
The illustration on the cover is amazing. Much better than most

Duarh
September 14th, 2002, 03:19 PM
choppy - btw, I saw your nick here and didn't even recognize it :)

anyway - on the topic - i already disregard the 'best book of the year' 'on a level with Tolkien' 'has the promise to inherit the throne of the Lord of the Rings' kind of notices automatically, since 70% of the fantasy novels I read have them on. Can't see how they do any harm - if it makes the publishers happy, let them do what they want in that regard. As long as the book is OK, all the rest is irrelevant

what I DO hate, though, is inaccurate book blurbs that make the reader expect something altogether else than the book really contains. THERE the publishers should step a trifle more carefully, IMO