View Full Version : Non-English Language Movies

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

AlienLogic
September 13th, 2002, 06:56 AM
What are some good non-english language science fiction or fantasy movies?

The only European movie I can think of is "Wings of Desire" which I suppose is slightly fantasy as it has angels. But I'm sure there must be a lot more, I just can't think of them.

Quite a lot of Asian movies have science fiction or fantasy, which do you think are good? I've seen quite a few but I have a terrible memory for titles.

Gagged Man
September 14th, 2002, 11:02 PM
There's this Fench film called "City Of Lost Children" which I thought was pretty good.
Can't think of anything else, sorry.

Eventine
September 16th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Bond
September 16th, 2002, 11:39 AM
The NeverEnding Story was originally in German if I am right.

Jeunet the director of City of Lost Children also directed the more recent Amélie.

The soon to be remade Solaris by Tarkovsky is based on Stanislaw Lem's science fiction book by the same name.

Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal could be thought of as fantasy.

There are many cheap Hong Kong vampire/ghost movies aside from the Japanese sci-fi monster staple Godzilla movies.

A good movie composed of ghost stories I hear is Kwaidan and Kurosawa's Dreams certainly has fantastic elements.

A lot of Japanese animé is of a science fiction nature.

I hear there is a Turkish Wizard of Oz as well.

Rumfuddle
September 17th, 2002, 07:49 PM
John Clutes The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Science Fiction includes non-English language films and has a section on continental Europen and Japanese SF tv series.
It'd probably be impossible to ever see alot of them, which makes them even more alluring.

AlienLogic
September 20th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Thanks guys.

I haven't seen City of Lost Children or Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon so I'll keep out an eye for them.

A Turkish Wizard of Oz, sounds interesting.

I tend to like movies that are a bit different to the normal Hollywood fare.

Flammenweber
September 23rd, 2002, 04:42 AM
Well, I don't exactly know, how the title of this movie is translated, it's a french one, in german it's called "Pakt der Wölfe", in english this should be "Pact of the wolves" or something, it was last year shortly after LOTR in cinema here, and it was quite good imho

Flammenweber
September 23rd, 2002, 04:46 AM
http://mitglied.lycos.de/edelvogt/aerghh.gif

Just saw the thread a little bit below, the movie is called "Brotherhood of the wolf" and I think, you heard about it already

Asraloth
September 23rd, 2002, 04:59 AM
i agree on "city of the lost children" even tho ive only seen half of it. i turned on to it late one night and was blown away by the effects, the sets and the cinematography.

"crouching tiger, hidden dragon" is a favourite of mine too. i like watching better without subtitles tho, only because i miss the incredible fight scenes if i'm reading the text. CTHD is one of my favourite movies, it was so elegantly produced. a martial arts movie with a story, who would've thought. but then its not only a martial arts movie, its a fantasy, a period piece, a romance all these things. great film.

then, to put a cult favourite in, i'd have to go with "The Weatherwoman." sure its corny and often a bit gross, but i think its hilarious. its japanese by the way.

i can also remember an italian fantasy once where there was a baron who was looking for his daughter, with a sorceress who turned into a swan. does this ring any bells to anyone? cant remember the name.

Aik Haw
September 28th, 2002, 07:29 PM
If you can understand Cantonese or Mandarin, a good one to watch is "Po Tien Lantern". Very very magical!!