View Full Version : Good Dragon Movies

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

The Mayan
July 17th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Really, I havn't seen too many movies out there where dragons are the main focus. And of the few there are, fewer still are any good.

Dragonheart was an okay movie, but the sequel was utter crap.

Eragon, well, even fans of the book admit the movie was garbage.

Firebreather... let's not go there.

Really, the only dragon movie I can think of that was really good was How to Train Your Dragon (my favorite movie of all time).

Has anyone here seen a dragon movie that you thought was pretty good?

Gkarlives
July 17th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Really, I havn't seen too many movies out there where dragons are the main focus. And of the few there are, fewer still are any good.

Dragonheart was an okay movie, but the sequel was utter crap.

Eragon, well, even fans of the book admit the movie was garbage.

Firebreather... let's not go there.

Really, the only dragon movie I can think of that was really good was How to Train Your Dragon (my favorite movie of all time).

Has anyone here seen a dragon movie that you thought was pretty good?

Dragonslayer is an early 1980's movie starring Peter Macnichol with a decent story and, for the time, an awesome stop motion dragon. Definitely worth a look. Also, the animated Hobbit has Smaug of course and there is a little known animated movie called A Flight of Dragons form tv time that is actually pretty satisfying. A more recent CG animated movie that is very good is called Dragon Hunters.:D

kged
July 17th, 2012, 06:50 PM
You beat me to it, Gkarlives - Dragonslayer is one of the most underrated fantasy films ever made. I'm entirely serious, it is up there with the best of them. No wonder it got a sneaky little homage in Game of Thrones.

MoonDoggie
July 19th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Dragonslayer is a great suggestion. I'd also suggest Reign of Fire and don't forget HP: Goblet of Fire.

Gkarlives
July 19th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Dragonslayer is a great suggestion. I'd also suggest Reign of Fire and don't forget HP: Goblet of Fire.

I held off on Reign of Fire. While the dragons were cool, the story was weak (IMO).:o

MoonDoggie
July 21st, 2012, 12:02 PM
I held off on Reign of Fire. While the dragons were cool, the story was weak (IMO).:o

True, it was definitely another movie which could have been so much more. But, as you said the dragons were cool.

WinstonL
July 21st, 2012, 05:24 PM
Definitely Dragonslayer really helped to define what we can call a great dragon movie. I just saw 'How to train a Dragon' and it goes right next to Dragonslayer on my shelf of favorites.

Was there any dragons in the muppets' Dark Crystal? I seem to recall it had a lot of fantasy elements (well done too!) but I don't remember if there was a dragon in it or not. I haven't seen it since the 80s.

DailyRich
July 22nd, 2012, 02:43 PM
No dragons in The Dark Crystal, although that doesn't mean it's not a wonderful fantasy film in its own right.

Dragonslayer is the crown jewel. It's a grand adventure that's also a meditation on the rise of faith and the death of magic.

txshusker
July 30th, 2012, 03:36 PM
No dragons in The Dark Crystal, although that doesn't mean it's not a wonderful fantasy film in its own right.

Dragonslayer is the crown jewel. It's a grand adventure that's also a meditation on the rise of faith and the death of magic.

ditto on all counts.

How can you guys not be talking about the amazingly awesome Dungeons and Dragons movies! A project is never bad when a Wayans brother is involved. Not to mention the animation version of the first Dragonlance book. Shameful! :mad:

not

I will second GKs recommendation of Dragon Hunters - a blast. I think it actually rivals How to Train... in characters, if not in scale of adventure. And the 30 minute series is actually quite fun, as well, if you have a channel that plays them. Or stream them through Netflix. Since I have a Dragonslayer poster on my wall, you can guess how much I enjoy that.

So basically I have nothing new to add... just felt like typing.

SFF channel always have craptastic dragon movies going, don't they. Painful some of them. I remember I tried to sit through one that had Summer Glau in it.. and another one with Maxwell Caulfield. Utter rubbish.

Whatever happened to the Pern movie that was supposed to start production this year?

oceanworld
August 1st, 2012, 07:21 PM
:) I was going to say HOW TO TRAIN A DRAGON because I do love that movie.;)