PDA

View Full Version : Better than the book?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MoonDoggie
July 19th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Like most avid readers I usually say, "The book is so much better than the movie." However, there have been times when I actually liked the movie better than the book. The Postman is one of them and Practical Magic is another. In both cases I saw the movie first and decided to read the book afterwards.

How about the rest of you? Do you think it matters which you're exposed to first?

phil_geo
July 20th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Quitters Inc. is a Stephen King story from the movie Cats Eye that I thought was compelling and had a shocking twist at the end in the movie, but was just "meh" when I read it.

I'll go so far to say that Starship Troopers was a great summer action flick, better than the book for excitement and action. I'm not saying this movie was better than the book in general, but they made the movie that a lot of people wanted and did a good job.

Loerwyn
July 21st, 2012, 02:55 AM
I'm not really of the idea that adaptations are necessarily worse than the text they're from. See, what happens is people have their own ideas, visions and so forth and in a bizarre way it colours what they see because it's not their interpretation.

I enjoyed the three Narnia films, Coraline, The Black Cauldron, No Country For Old Men, True Grit (the recent one) and other interpretations though I wouldn't say they were better than the book (if I'd read it).

One of the few that was at least on the same level as the book that I know of is Persepolis, and it has to be watched in French.

SilentDan
September 29th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Lord of the Rings.

What?

JimF
September 29th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I thought the Watchman movie was better than the graphic novel, but only by a little. I never really liked the squid.

Aktunka
September 30th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I felt that both the movie and book versions of Watchmen had strengths and weaknesses, but the endings, I felt that the movie version was far better than the alien squid thing in the book.

If you want a great example of a show that actually surpasses the written material, look no further than True Blood. Don't get me wrong, I also own the books and enjoy them, but the show brings so many of the characters to life in a way that you don't get in the books. Also, the show has trimmed out a lot of the unneeded stuff from the books.

JunkMonkey
September 30th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Any adaptation of anything by Edgar Rice Burroughs is better than the book - even if it does have Doug McClure in it.*

Tarkovsky's 1972 Solaris is a vast improvement on the novel.

*The exact opposite applies to any adaptation of A Philip K Dick story.

Loerwyn
September 30th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I'd say the adaptation of Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis is, if not better, then at least is as good as the book. Loses some of its power and message as it's reduced for a film (300+ page combined graphic novel into a single film), but still pretty darned good.

Solaar
October 1st, 2012, 12:07 PM
Tarkovsky's 1972 Solaris is a vast improvement on the novel.

*The exact opposite applies to any adaptation of A Philip K Dick story.

Agreed on Solaris. The book was good, but the film was better.

HOWEVER, Junk, in my opinion Bladerunner beats 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' hands down.

A masterpiece of a film.

Solaar
shining eyes

JunkMonkey
October 1st, 2012, 01:20 PM
But they lost all the humour! Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is such a funny book. You'd never guess from the film.

But otherwise, yes, I'd forgotten about that one.