View Full Version : Tough Chicks

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

kahnovitch
September 16th, 2002, 03:47 AM
I caught a bit of G.I. Jane last night, specifically where Demi Moore is getting all beaten up and as an act of defiance tells her attacker to “suck my…”, well let’s just say she refereed to a part of the anatomy women don’t have, and men do.
It got me thinking about this thread.
There are a lot more tough female roles in films and TV etc these days, as over here in Blighty we’re just getting “Alias” and “Dark Angel” on terrestrial TV so it seemed a good time to ask the question… which are the best and worst?
What makes a “tough chick” believable and which ones are just plain silly?
Who would you choose to replace the ones you hate?

Holbrook
September 16th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Sorry.... but GI Jane..... what a laugh....

Tough chicks in films are laughable to say the least....

For a "real" heroine I suggest you read the Bio of Nancy Wake, an Aussie, who served in the British SOE with the French Resistance. She won the George Cross, Legion of Honour and some big American medal (for pulling some male American agents fat out of the fire *g*)

In fact any of the Ladies who served with SOE were "real tough chicks"

SusF
September 16th, 2002, 12:36 PM
My favorite tough chick is Aerun from Farscape and Buffy. Yeah, Buffy is a bit silly, but she's a tough chick dying to be normal.

There are more tough chicks headed our way this season. There's Bird of Prey, offspring of Batman and Catwoman. Hope they did a good job with Gotham City.

Susan

saintjon
September 16th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Carla from Cheers.

:D

enazwo
September 17th, 2002, 02:36 AM
Lieutenant Ellen Ripley "Sigh";)

chocky
September 17th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Laura Croft. Movie OR game version.

Gagged Man
September 18th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Faith from Buffy.

kahnovitch
September 19th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Ok I guess it's time to speak up as I started this topic.....

Personally I think Buffy is unbelievable (in the sense that I don't believe in her for a second) and in a "Slayer Deathmatch" I'd put my money on Blade every time.

Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft? (puhleeze). Not convincing at all (I didn't see the film coz the trailer was enough for me).

The Res Evil girls.... No way Jose. Especially Michelle Rodriquez. She's got the look, but she tries too hard to BE hard.

Ripley? Yeah she's got what it takes. What I like about her is she didn't start out that tough, she was originally terrified, but got tougher when she needed to.

My choice;

Jenette Goldstien a.k.a Vasquez for Aliens... Super tough.

Claudia Christian a.k.a Ivanova from B5. Quiet, understated but always in control.

Claudia Black is ok from Farscape and IMO would have been a better choice for Lara Croft.

That's all I can think for now.

Asraloth
September 19th, 2002, 11:42 PM
Buffy is very tough physically, with superhuman strength, agility and accelerated healing, but she is in my opinion emotionally f**ed up. she's been through so much crap and if you want to hurt her, you just attack her mentally, as Angelus did. despite all this tho, she is one of my favourite tough chick characters, because she is flawed and to me is more realistic than some of these other women.
Ellen Ripley ties with her for me. Also, Sarah Connor in T2. She got real tough in that movie, without losing her feminity, cos she was still maternal with john.

ps. buffy has dispatched enemies way more formidable than blade. no contest. :D

kahnovitch
September 19th, 2002, 11:50 PM
ps. buffy has dispatched enemies way more formidable than blade. no contest.

By "way more formidable " you men guys who stand there and get hit by a cheerleader who couldn't punch her way out of a paper bag.... tsk.

I'm sure the Blood God and the Reavers would have had something to say about that.

As for Angel? I could kick his butt!

P.S. I just remembered a rumour that Britney Spears was supposed to make a guest appearance on Buffy as a rival/enemy. Whether it happened I neither know nor care, but I think it blows the "way more formidable enemy" arguement out of the water.