PDA

View Full Version : Genetically modified genius & athlete manages baseball team

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

arnetda0214
August 16th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I recall a novel about a genetically modified child who was a genius and athlete. He excelled at a number of activities in his youth. Then he went into baseball, joining a low ranking team -- he took the team to the championship (as I recall.) He did this by studying his body motion (via movies) to identify the means to be a super performer (the success of the team centered basically upon his pitching ability.) The subsequent year, he took his techniques of motion study and applied them to the team, producing a team that, on their own (without his playing), successfully took the championship, again. As I recall, there was an entwined plot in which there was an ordinary woman with whom the fellow had unrequited love. What was the name of this story, novelette, or novel?

B5B7
August 18th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I haven't actually watched it, but this seems to have some elements in common with the movie Moneyball (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1210166/).

arnetda0214
August 18th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I'm referring to a science fiction story written in the '70s or maybe '80s.

Moneyball is a fairly recent movie (as you stated) based upon how the Oakland A's changed the methodology of thinking about building a team. The premise of Moneyball is that the players already display good playing ability but are not recognized due to their unacceptable quirks.

The science fiction story, to which I refer, predates modern practice of taking videos of players, analyzing their moves, then correcting those movements for improved performance. The story (after spending half of the volume upon the genetically modified individual, who is the core of the story) relates how to go about improving performance based upon the unique way that an individual may go about improving, including if such is a nonstandard method of executing something like a swing, a pitch, or a throw. While I refer to it as a story, I don't recall the length of the piece (i.e. novel, novelette, or short story.)