PDA

View Full Version : short story, japan, girl injects flavoring into her arm

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

petritent
August 19th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Trying to remember the title or author of a short story I listened to a several months ago. I heard it as a podcast, but I remember there was a transcript of the story, too.

It is set in Japan in the future. The main character is a girl who works at a restaurant, creating flavor combinations to be injected into food. She's in love with the restaurant owners' son. But he spends all his time with a robot lady companion, and the main character feels like she can't compete.

But in the end of the story, the main character ends up injecting one of her special flavor combinations into her arm and, essentially, feeding the boy her arm.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'd love to find the story again. Thanks for your help!

Seli
August 28th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Trying to remember the title or author of a short story I listened to a several months ago. I heard it as a podcast, but I remember there was a transcript of the story, too.

It is set in Japan in the future. The main character is a girl who works at a restaurant, creating flavor combinations to be injected into food. She's in love with the restaurant owners' son. But he spends all his time with a robot lady companion, and the main character feels like she can't compete.

But in the end of the story, the main character ends up injecting one of her special flavor combinations into her arm and, essentially, feeding the boy her arm.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'd love to find the story again. Thanks for your help!

Ah that one, I cannot remember where I heard it. With the transcript available as well logically it should have been one of Clarkesworld, Lightspeed or Escape pod (unless it is one of those not in my feed).

petritent
September 2nd, 2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the site suggestions, Seli.
I finally came across the story over on Tor.com. The title is Beauty Belongs to the Flowers and it's by Matthew Sanborn Smith.

http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/01/beauty-belongs-to-the-flowers

Seli
September 4th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the site suggestions, Seli.
I finally came across the story over on Tor.com. The title is Beauty Belongs to the Flowers and it's by Matthew Sanborn Smith.

http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/01/beauty-belongs-to-the-flowers

I forgot about Tor.com, glad you found it. At least it explains why I could not find it at the three sources I knew have audio and text.