PDA

View Full Version : short story, where man is gradually replaced by ant-like creatures while he sleeps

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

dbdude99
August 20th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I'm trying to recall a short story I read in the late 60's. It's about a man who "dreams" that he is slowly being consumed by ant-like creatures while he sleeps. Consumed is probably not the right word - more like replaced, bit by bit. Then one night, as he lies paralyzed in bed, he sees himself enter the bedroom, open a briefcase and summon all the ants . He watches in horror as his own body slowly disassembles into the ants and then crawl into the briefcase. The copy of himself, picks up the case and walks out. Any ideas ?

dbdude99
August 26th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Bump ! Does anyone have any idea on this story ?

Vinny
August 27th, 2013, 07:31 PM
For some reason, even though this particular story does not ring a bell for me, I keep wanting to suggest that it may well be a story written by Harlan Ellison, simply because of the style and the type of story. So, that is my suggestion, for what it might be worth!

And, I notice that you posted your first post in this thread on August 20th. It has been my observation that with each day, and each week, that passes, a greater number of forum members get to see a new post such as this, and often the "right" answers do not seem to appear until at least two to three months have passed! So, do not give up hope just because no one has given the right answer within the first week or two or three!

dbdude99
August 28th, 2013, 08:51 AM
For some reason, even though this particular story does not ring a bell for me, I keep wanting to suggest that it may well be a story written by Harlan Ellison, simply because of the style and the type of story. So, that is my suggestion, for what it might be worth!

And, I notice that you posted your first post in this thread on August 20th. It has been my observation that with each day, and each week, that passes, a greater number of forum members get to see a new post such as this, and often the "right" answers do not seem to appear until at least two to three months have passed! So, do not give up hope just because no one has given the right answer within the first week or two or three!

Actually, I first posted this on August 20th, 2012 - over a year ago !?! But thanks for responding. I'll have to scan through all the Harlan Ellison short story collections I have and see if I can find this one.

Thanks !

dbdude99
October 23rd, 2013, 02:56 PM
I did a pretty detailed scan of all the Ellison short stories from that era and didn't find this one. Anyone else have any ideas ? Thanks !

Vinny
October 23rd, 2013, 03:31 PM
Actually, I first posted this on August 20th, 2012 - over a year ago !?! But thanks for responding. I'll have to scan through all the Harlan Ellison short story collections I have and see if I can find this one.

Thanks !

Yes, you are absolutely right about your initial post having been in August of 2012, rather than in August 2013 as I had initially assumed when I had quickly skimmed the date stamp on your post. Well, about 14 months have passed, but I still think that there is a good chance that someone will find this thread and be able to supply you with the information that you are seeking. I wish you the best with this!